Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
University Housing & Dining
Resident Assistant (RA) Selection Information
Residence hall floors are staffed by full time students who serve primarily as a resource and mentor for the residents. The Resident Assistants (RAs) facilitate programming, enforce policies, and serve on duty. Their primary duties are to create a floor community where students feel they belong and are an important part of the community.
RAs are an integral part of University Housing and Dining Services (UHDS). They are the staff members who have the most direct and constant contact with students. RAs are assigned to a residence hall floor of approximately 30-40 students. Their primary responsibility is to ensure the health and safety of residents and build relationships with their community members. The RA also acts as a facilitator for this residence hall community and promotes the development of each of their residents. RAs are expected to uphold and abide by University policies, be a team player, serve as strong academic role models, exhibit strong administrative skills, and be a referral agent to campus resources.
Apply to be an RA for mid-year (start date of January 2013):
- Application CLOSED.
- Applications due November 16, 2012 at 11:59 pm.
- References due November 26, 2012 at 11:59 pm.
- Interviews will take place November 27-30, 2012.
Apply to be an RA for next year (start date of August 2013):
- Informational session will be held on November 29, 2012 at 6 pm in the Bayliss & Henninger Underground
- Application OPEN. Click here to apply.
- Applications due January 31, 2013 at 11:59 pm.
- Individual Interviews will take place February 11-15, 2013.
- Group interviews will happen February 18-20, 2013.
- References due February 15, 2013 at 11:59 pm. (Tentative)
- Have a resume handy to reference. During the application, we will ask you to summarize your work experience, skills and abilities, and your extracurricular involvement.
Think about why you are applying. We will ask you to respond to the following two questions:
- What or who motivated you to apply for the RA position? Why?
- What do you hope to learn from the RA position?
- Ensure you have valid email addresses for your two references. One reference MUST be your current Resident Assistant (or a WIU faculty/staff member if you currently live off campus). The second reference should be someone who is aware of your abilities and work habits. References will be emailed the appropriate recommendation forms after the submission of your application.
- Have your schedule handy. During the application, we will ask you to schedule a group interview and an individual interview.
- Complete the Online Application
Please email RA-Selection@wiu.edu if you have any questions or problems submitting your application.
- Fall 2013 Application is closed.
RA Position Description
RA Selection Timeline
Mid-Year Selection Process (start date January 2013):
- November 16, 2012: Application Deadline
- November 26, 2012: References due. All references must be completed and sent to RA-Selection@wiu.edu
- November 27-30, 2012: Selection Interviews
Fall Selection Process (start date August 2013)
- November 29, 2012, 6 PM, Bayliss & Henninger Underground, Informational Session
- December 1, 2012: RA Application Available Online
- January 31, 2013: RA Application Closes Online
- February 11-15, 2013: Individual Interviews
- February 15, 2013: References due (Tentative)
- February 18-20, 2013: Group Interview Days
- By April 1: Offer Letters Sent to New Hires