Resident Assistant Position Description 2014-2015
The Resident Assistant Position Description for 2014-2015 is still being updated, however there are a few updates that we can share with you now.
- 2014- 2015 RA Staff Meeting: All RA staff will be required to be available between 5:30-7:30 on Tuesdays for a staff meeting in both the fall and spring semesters. Exceptions will need to be petitioned through the Director of Residence Life, Dr. Mishelle Oaks.
- 2014-2015 RA Class: Resident Assistants will be notified of their positions by Tuesday March 11, 2014, each new hire will need to complete RA class prior to training in the fall. RA Class sessions will be available the second part of Spring 2014 semester. Exceptions will need to be petitioned through the Director of Residence Life, Dr. Mishelle Oaks.
- 2014-2015 RA Training: All RA staff will be expected to return for RA training no sooner than Sunday August 3, 2014. All hired RA staff should make proper summer arrangements to return to campus and participate in RA training. Concerns about the start date of RA training should be directed to the Director of Residence Life, Dr. Mishelle Oaks, in advance of August 2014.
Resident Assistant Position Description 2013-2014
The Purpose of the Position: RAs are an integral part of University Housing and Dining Services (UHDS). They are the staff members who have the most direct and constant contact with students. RAs are assigned to a residence hall floor of approximately 30-40 students. Their primary responsibility is to ensure the health and safety of residents and build relationships with their community members. The RA also acts as a facilitator for this residence hall community and promotes the development of each of their residents. RAs are expected to uphold and abide by University policies, be a team player, serve as strong academic role models, exhibit strong administrative skills, and be a referral agent to campus resources.
- As an RA, you are expected to be in good academic standing and to maintain minimum semester and cumulative grade point averages of 2.40
- An RA must remain in good judicial standing with UHDS and the University (reprimand or censure only).
- A new RA must enroll in CSP 445 during the Fall 2013 semester. This course is worth two academic credit hours and must be completed with a grade of C or higher. RAs are financially responsible for the cost of the courses and supplementary material.
- An RA must have lived in a residence hall or other community living (military, etc) for two semesters.
- An RA will be placed on a floor as determined by UHDS staff.
- An RA is expected to maintain ongoing communication with all hall staff.
- An RA will not be allowed to work more than 10 hours per week beyond the RA job. Any employment, student teaching, internship, or other major responsibilities taking the RA out of the residence hall must be discussed with the Hall/Complex Director.
- An RA is expected to act as a positive role model in representing UHDS and the University at all times.
- An RA may not carry more than 18 hours of class work per semester (including CSP 445 or 450), unless he/she receives prior permission from the Associate Director.
A. Community Facilitator
- Be available and accessible to floor residents. RAs should plan weekly contact hours with residents.
- Assist students with personal, social and academic problems.
- Respect and maintain appropriate staff and student confidentiality.
- Assist in the development of an educationally supportive living environment by providing effective, educational activities and consistent monitoring of the floor environment.
- Encourage personal responsibility on the part of every floor member.
- Participate and involve residents in all orientation activities.
- Actively support and encourage participation in Hall Government events.
- Involve faculty members in floor programs.
B. Referral Agent
- Report all emergencies and serious situations to your supervisor.
- Be familiar with all campus and community resources to assist residents with problems.
- Act as a referral agent for students to different campus and community resources.
C. Team Member
- Attend and participate in all staff training (fall and spring) which will require you to return early to campus.
- Attend and participate in all in-service or developmental sessions.
- Attend all weekly staff meetings and contribute to the efficient functioning of the hall.
- Help develop a staff community which includes Head Staff, Residence Hall Clerks, Teams Police, Food Service Staff,
- Custodial Staff, and all other student staff who work in the building. Display a positive attitude and be supportive of other staff members.
- Participate in the recruitment, selection and training of ACD, CD, and Central Staff members.
- Be available for and participate in the opening and closing of the residence halls which will require you to come early to campus and stay later than most students.
- Be available for special staffing assignments such as Welcome Week, Family Weekend, Homecoming, Halloween, etc. to meet the needs of your residents and the building community.
- Participate in a weekly and weekend building duty rotation. Duty coverage has been predetermined according to UHDS guidelines and posted on a schedule established by the supervisor. Hall coverage extends from 8 p.m. until 7 a.m. the following morning.
- Complete the following administrative tasks, in a timely fashion; check-in, check-out, room condition reports, eyeball rosters, maintenance requests, surveys, behavioral complaints, and other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
E. University Representative
- Actively confront and document all disciplinary and policy violation situations.
- Demonstrate exemplary behavior at all times.
- A single room and meal plan.
- Receive a Microfridge in room at no charge
- Only 10 hours per week at any on campus employment is allowed. Other campus employment must be approved by the Hall/Complex director. Please note that the compensation package for the RA position is considered financial aid and may affect your financial aid package.