Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
University Housing & Dining
Desk Assistant (DA) Selection Information
Desk Assistants (DA) are an integral part of University Housing and Dining Services (UHDS). The function of this position is to act as a receptionist at the front desk in a residence hall. This position serves as an information source and represents the University to students, family, and guests. The DA is responsible to and supported by the Complex Director, the UHDS' professional staff members in the residence hall.
Apply to be a DA (start date of August 2013):
- Review the position information
Think about why you are applying. We will ask you to respond to the following questions:
- What other activities do you have planned for the semester of application (jobs, organizations, etc...)?
- What do you view as professional behavior at the information desk?
- How would you describe your communication style?
- How will you make customer service a priority as a desk assistant?
- What qualities or skills do you think you would bring to the Desk Assistant position, and why do you think they would be helpful in this role?
- What is a responsibility of the Desk Assistant position you may find challenging, and why?
- What do you think of when you hear the word "ethics"? How do you define ethical behavior for yourself?
- Ensure you have contact information for two references. References should speak to your ability to perform in a desk assistant position at Western Illinois University. Please do not include family members or close friends.
- Have your schedule handy. During the application, we will ask you to schedule an interview time for either January 30, January 31 or February 1.
Complete the Application (application deadline January 25, 2013)
Please email the UHDS Staff Selection Committee (at RA-Selection@wiu.edu) if you have any questions about the Desk Assistant hiring process.
DA Selection Timeline
For 2013-2014 Academic Year hire process:
The DA Application for the 2013-2014 academic year is closed.
- January 14: DA Application Available Online
- January 25: DA Application Closes Online
- January 31-February 1, 9:00am - 5:00pm: Individual Interviews: Cardinal Oak Room, University Union
- Decisions letters will be sent the week of April 1