Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
University Housing & Dining
Big Pink Volleyball 2013
The Big Pink Volleyball Tournament is a philanthropic event co-sponsored by Campus Recreation and University Housing and Dining Services, Thompson Hall to raise funds for breast cancer charities. Teams play volleyball with a four-foot wide, hot pink volleyball. Proceeds will be donated to the Peoria Memorial Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure and McDonough District Hospital’s Mammogram and Other Cancer Screenings Program. Participants may contribute by participating on a team, purchasing a t-shirt and/or long sleeve shirt, or by making a donation in the Campus Recreation Office.
Dates & Deadlines
Kick Off: Thursday, September 12 from 7:00 – 9:00 pm
At the Spencer Student Recreation Center, Courts 1 and 2. Enjoy learning to play the game of Big Pink Volleyball and get your registration packets! Human ribbon photo will be taken at 7:00pm. T-shirts will be available for sale. Giveaways provided by University Union Board. **Free admission with student ID**
Early Bird Registration: Friday, September 13, 2013 by 4:30 pm
It’s your lucky day! Register your team in the Campus Recreation Office. T-shirts will be available for sale.
**Receive a prize provided by McDonough District Hospital for turning in your registration packets early!**
Registration: Due Tuesday, September 17, 2013 by 4:30 pm
Entries and fees are to be turned in the Campus Recreation Office. Payment MUST be in full.
Play: Monday, September 23 through Thursday, September 26, 2013 from 4:00 pm-11:00 pm each evening
T-shirts/ Long Sleeves
May be ordered in the Campus Recreation Office through October 1, 2013. Click here to see t-shirt options.
- Teams must have a minimum of four players and a maximum of six players on the court for each game.
- Teams can be co-ed or single-gender, but everyone will play each other in the designated brackets.
- Teams can be in one of five brackets: Residence Hall, Club/Organization, Greek, Faculty/Staff, and Independent. The tournament is a single elimination tournament.
- Team pictures will be taken on the first night of play and posted on the Campus Recreation Facebook page.
- Teams can be co-ed, male, or female and a minimum of 4 people and a maximum of 10 people can be on a team. A maximum of 6 people can be on the court at one time.
- You may substitute in and out at any dead ball time. Ask the referee to do this.
- Rally scoring: A point is scored on every serve regardless of the team that serves.
- A ball cannot be played off the wall, poles, or curtain.
- Trapping the ball in the net is not allowed.
- Players must rotate after every server exchange.
- Rotation is clockwise.
- Males and females CAN both jump to hit or block the ball.
- Players in the back row may not jump in front of the 10-foot line to block or hit the ball.
- Games last for 15 minutes. The team with the most points at the end of 15 minutes wins.
- In the case of a tie, play until the next point is scored.
- Server must serve behind the serve line (the 10-foot line).
- Two members of the team may hold the ball up and server may hit it out of their hands, but they have to be behind the serve line.
- You may not attempt to block/spike another team’s serve.
- A maximum of three (3) hits per side is allowed.
- The same person may not hit the ball twice in a row.
- The ball may not be kicked or headed at any time.
- No leaning or sitting on the ball.
- A player cannot hit the net or step over the middle line while making a play.
- No jewelry or watches are allowed during play.
- Athletic shoes are required (i.e., No flip-flops, dress shoes, or barefoot).
- Have fun!!! And please be respectful of your opponents, officials, and people operating the tournament!
- Be 15-20 minutes early to your games. Late arrivals will forfeit their games.
- Don’t forget your student IDs for check-in to the Spencer Student Recreation Center.
- Check-in at the registration table before each game.
- Report the score of your game to the registration table. This is when you will find out when your next game is.
- The tournament is a single elimination tournament.