Financial Aid

Illinois MAP Grant

The Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) is suspending its 2016-17 Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant awards for all students whose initial 2016-17 FAFSA was received by the Central Processing System (CPS) on or after Thursday, March 10, 2016.  Students may file their FAFSA online at


The Illinois MAP Grant is one of Western's major sources of funds for undergraduate students who meet Illinois residency requirements. Students are encouraged to file their FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1 for consideration as funding is limited.

A MAP Grant award is based on 15 semester hours of attendance. If your course load is between 3 and 14 hours per semester, your MAP Grant will be prorated based on your enrolled hours. The MAP Grant will not pay for audit, graduate, or credit-by-examination coursework, and cannot exceed actual charges for tuition and university fees.


Eligibility for MAP is tracked by the equivalent number of semester credit hours of MAP benefits paid on your behalf, with a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 15 MAP Paid Credit Hours being used per semester. MAP Paid Credit Hours will still be used even if a student withdraws or does not pass coursework.

There is a limit on the number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be paid – freshman/sophomore students (0-59 credits earned) cannot exceed 75 MAP Paid Credit Hours Paid, while juniors/seniors (60+ credits earned) cannot exceed 135 MAP Credit Hours Paid. Once a student reaches 135 MAP Credit Hours Paid, he/she will no longer be eligible to receive the MAP grant.


If eligible and funds are available, the MAP grant award will be listed on a student’s financial aid award letter notification. Annual award amounts are subject to state appropriations, and MAP grants can only be applied towards actual tuition and fee charges up to 15 credit hours per semester. Award amounts will be prorated based on eligibility and enrollment.

Your MAP award may be adjusted if you receive any other type of assistance which pays for tuition and/or fees, OR if you receive gift aid (scholarships and grants) in excess of your cost of attendance.


To be considered for the MAP grant, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

For more information see Section 10B-1 in the Financial Aid Handbook.