Top Navigation

Side Navigation

FAQ - Common Graduate Questions

  • What types of financial aid (including loans) are available for graduate students?
    • Graduate assistantships and tuition waivers, federal student loans, federal Grad PLUS loans, Federal Work-Study, and various departmental scholarships are available for graduate study.
  • What are the annual loan limits for Federal Direct loan annual limits for graduate students?
    • For graduate-level student loans issued prior to July 1, 2012, the annual maximum subsidized loan is $8,500 and the annual maximum unsubsidized loan is $12,000. For graduate-level student loans issued after July 1, 2012, the annual maximum unsubsidized loan will be $20,500 - subsidized loans will no longer be offered to graduate students through the Direct Loan program.
  • How much can a graduate student borrow each year?
    • Graduate students may borrow up to the cost of attendance each academic year. Note that individual loan amounts will vary according to need, prior loan history, and federal regulations.
  • Why can’t I receive the MAP or Pell grants for grad school?
    • Both grant programs are only authorized for students pursuing their first bachelors degree. Graduate students seeking assistance may look to other sources of aid like graduate assistantships and tuition waivers through University departments, or federal loan funds.
  • How do I activate my WIU email and my STARS account?
    • Email: Activate your email account by going to Guava. Select the account activation link located below the login box.

      The first time you access STARS, your password will be your month, day and full year of birth (mmddyyyy). For example, if you were born on January 5, 1980 then your PIN will be 01051980. You will then be required to change your password.. DO NOT GIVE YOUR PASSWORD TO ANYONE!
      For STARS sign-on assistance you may contact the Student Assistance and Parent Service Center (Union), 309-298-2092.