Financial Aid

Financial Aid Handbook & Policies

Non-traditional Student

Financial aid is available through state and federal programs for full or part-time WIU students in Macomb, the Quad Cities, WIU extension centers and for students taking distance learning, independent study or on-line courses.
Incarcerated students are not eligible for the programs mentioned above.

Part-time enrollment, distance learning/independent study, and on-line courses may reduce the amount of financial aid that a student receives. Most state and federal programs require enrollment in a program leading to a degree as a prerequisite for eligibility. In addition, most types of aid require students to enroll for at least 6 hours/semester.

Students enrolled in C01 to C49 course sections may receive smaller Pell Grant awards than students attending WIU in Macomb, the Quad Cities, WIU extension center, or on-line. This is because of the lower costs incurred for these courses. Students enrolled in the Quad Cities or a WIU extension center could receive between $445 and $2675 per semester. Students enrolled only in correspondence course work could receive between $322 and $1338 per semester. (These amounts are subject to change.)

The amount of the Pell Grant is also affected by the number and type of credit hours. The following chart shows how enrollment status is determined when regular and correspondence course work is combined for the same term (subject to change):

  Regular hours       Correspondence Hours      Pell Eligibility    
6 6 Full-time
6 3 3/4 time
3 9 1/2 time
3 6 1/2 time
3 3 1/2 time

NOTE: Students enrolled only for correspondence course work cannot receive financial aid in excess of the cost of tuition and books.

Enrollment in a program leading to a degree or certificate is required for Federal programs, MAP and IIA. Some ISAC programs, such as National Guard/Naval Militia Grant, Police/Fire/Correctional Survivor Grants and IVG, do not require enrollment in a degree program.

Federal Pell, SEOG, and Illinois MAP Grant will not pay for graduate credit.

Some employers provide assistance to employees returning to school to upgrade or enhance their value to a school, business or corporation. Students may contact their supervisors about the availability of such educational assistance.