Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Financial Aid News
Enhanced Verification Process for 2013-14!
Last year we promised we would continue to make enhancements to our verification process to make it even simpler for you – and we have!
The same as last year, if you and your parents are able to retrieve your IRS data directly from the IRS to your FAFSA, your chances of being selected for verification are greatly reduced. And – if you are selected – we may not need additional tax information from you. Check out the IRS Data Retrieval video tutorial. In addition, the Department of Education has customized their process and is not asking us to verify the same information for all students.
What if you are selected for verification?
- If we need verification information from you, you will receive an email notification from the WIU Financial Aid Office with instructions to go to STARS, select Financial Aid Information, then select the 2013-14 year.
- There, you will have a link to a customized, individual verification worksheet with your name and ID# prepopulated on the form.
- Your individual worksheet will ask for only the information we are required to review from your FAFSA application.
- For instance, if you used the Retrieval Tool, we will not request your tax information.
- However, if you were not able to use the Retrieval Tool or changed the data that was transferred, we will need a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS. We cannot accept a copy of your tax return unless you filed an amended tax return, a Puerto Rican, return, or a foreign tax return.
Please Note: During the review, your Financial Aid Advisor may request additional information from you to clarify the FAFSA information before your file can be “activated” for an award letter. Watch your WIU email for requests from your financial aid advisor.