Financial Aid News
Enhanced Verification Process
Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer tax information directly from the IRS to your FAFSA can help reduce your chances of being selected for verification. If you are selected for verification, using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool will help to reduce the amount of documentation you are required to provide. For step-by-step guidance, check out the IRS Data Retrieval video tutorial.
In addition, the Department of Education has customized its process and is not asking us to verify the same information for all students. So what if you are selected for verification?
- You will receive an email notification from the WIU Financial Aid Office with instructions to go to STARS, select Financial Aid Information, and then select the appropriate school year.
- There, you will be linked to a customized, individual verification worksheet with your name and ID # pre-populated on the form.
- Your individual worksheet will ask for only the information we are required to review from your FAFSA application.
- If you or your parents have used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, tax information will not be requested.
- However, if you or your parents are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, or you changed the data that was transferred, we will need a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS.
For additional instructions, please refer to the IRS Instructions for Verification.
Please Note: During the review, your Financial Aid Advisor may request additional information from you - regularly check your WIU email account for requests from your financial aid advisor.