Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Money Matters: A Brown Bag Series
Throughout the 2013-14 school year, the WIU Financial Aid Office will be hosting regular seminars in support of student financial education.
These informal sessions are free and open to WIU students, no registration required. The series will be held each month at 5:30 p.m in the Corbin Electronic Classroom (Corbin 1032 - located outside of the Corbin/Olson Dining Center).
Students are invited to bring their own dinner or purchase one in the dining hall - then join our staff as we discuss:
- Prioritizing What Counts (9/19/13 @ 5:30 PM) - We must understand our wants and needs before we can control them financially.
- Establishing Financial Goals (10/17/13 @ 5:30 PM) - Real financial goals require advanced planning - come learn how to keep yourself on track.
- Strategic Spending (11/14/13 @ 5:30 PM) - To be financially successful, you've got to think strategically when it comes to money. Learn how to reduce your spending and plan ahead.
- Monitoring Spending (12/05/13 @ 5:30 PM) - Ever wondered where all your money went? Learn about the tools and behaviors that can help you avoid asking this same question each month.
- Saving & Investing (01/23/14 @ 5:30 PM) - Put your hard-earned money to work for you! Learn about risk and return while we cover the fundamentals of investing.
- Credit Basics (02/13/14 @ 5:30 PM) - Are you borrowing student loans for school? Or maybe you're thinking about getting a credit card? Learn the basics now to avoid questions (and regret) later.
- Managing Credit (03/20/14 @ 5:30 PM) - Do you understand the power of credit? With great power comes great responsibility - learn how your financial scorecard is tallied up.
- Employee Compensation (04/10/14 @ 5:30 PM) - When evaluating your earning potential, look beyond the numbers. Learn more about the big picture as we discuss employment and compensation.
Please anticipate each session lasting approximately 30 minutes. Additional materials are also available online through Adventures in Education. Questions? Contact Diana Strom at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Money Matters Series is made possible through the use of materials provided by TG, a nonprofit corporation that promotes educational success to help millions of students and families realize their college and career dreams.
The Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education (AFCPE®) recently announced that the TG Financial Literacy Program has been named the recipient of their 2013 Outstanding Educational Program award.