Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
- Financial Aid News
- Getting Started
- Financial Aid Brochure
- Discover What to Expect
- 2014-15 Financial Aid Checklist
- 2013-14 Financial Aid Checklist
- FAFSA Help
- I've Submitted My FAFSA - What's Next?
- Paying for College at WIU
- The Benefits of Student Employment
- WIU Financial Aid Timeline & Troubleshooting
- Understanding Your Award Letter
- Financial Aid Reminders
- Release of Information
- Financial Aid Jargon
- Financial Aid Process
- Cost of Attendance
- Types of Aid
- Special Programs
- Money Management
- Consumer Information
- Handbook & Policies
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Financial Aid
Sherman Hall 127
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
Phone: (309) 298-2446
Fax: (309) 298-2353
TT: (309) 298-1856
Hours: M-F 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
WIU Title IV School Code: 001780
IRS Tax Return Transcript Request Process
Tax filers can request an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Tax Return Transcript of their IRS tax return from the IRS, free of charge, in one of four ways:
Online Request Instructions (IRS - Get Transcript)
- This is IRS’s preferred transcript delivery channel and is the quickest method.
- Go to www.irs.gov/transcript.
- Click on “Get Transcript Online”.
- Sign in if you already have an account. If you don’t have an account, create one. You will be sent an email confirmation code that expires after 30 minutes. The code must be entered to complete your account.
- The transcript is accessible after the taxpayer authenticates identification. Complete the Personal Information page, but do not proceed as ‘guest’. If you get locked out at this stage, wait 24 hours and try again. The questions will likely be different.
- Select Reason – Higher Education/Student Aid.
- Select appropriate tax year - * beside year means not available yet or you did not file.
- Turn off Pop-Up blockers to allow PDF file to pop up.
- This method provides IMMEDIATE display of transcript via PDF file .
- You can view, print, and save the file.
Automated Phone Request
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946.
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their Social Security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally, this will be numbers of the street address that was included on the latest tax return filed with the IRS by the tax filer. However, if an address change has been completed either directly with the IRS or with the U.S. Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file, which must be used. For a joint tax return, use the primary tax filer’s information.
- Select “Option 2” to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and enter “2012” for the 2013-14 FAFSA or “2013” for the 2014-15 FAFSA.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in their telephone request within 5 to 10 business days from the time the IRS receives the request.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested by telephone cannot be mailed to an address other than the address on file with the IRS.
- Apple Online Store at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/irs2go/id414113282?mt=8
- Google Play at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.irs
Paper Request Form (IRS Form 4506T-EZ)
- Download at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address on file with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. Include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4. However, if an address change has been completed either directly with the IRS or with the U.S. Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file, which must be used. For a joint tax return, use the primary tax filer’s information.
- Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS. However, if the transcript is mailed directly to the WIU Financial Aid Office, we may have difficulty matching a parent’s incoming IRS Tax Return Transcript to the student, especially if the last names are different.
- On line 6, enter the tax form number that is being requested (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, etc.) and then check the appropriate box for the transcript being requested. One tax form number can be used per request.
- The tax filers must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Transcripts of jointly filed tax returns may be requested by either spouse. Only one signature is required. Sign the IRS Form 4506T-EZ exactly as your name appeared on the original tax return. If you changed your name after submitting your tax return, also sign your current name.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of IRS Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their IRS Tax Return Transcript within 10 business days from the time the IRS receives and processes the completed and signed 4506-T request. NOTE: Processing IRS Form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.