Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Converting a Resumé for Email Transmission
The draw back of email resumés is that the Internet has limitations in transmitting your resumé. Like scanning systems that read scannable resumés, the Internet has difficulty transmitting many formatting codes, fonts, and graphics. Another limitation of email resumés is that the receiver may not have compatible software for opening up your email resumé if it is sent as an attachment. To help, convert your resumé to ASCII format.
Instructions below are for users of Microsoft Word, though users of most any word processing programs can use these instructions as a guideline.
- Create and save traditional resumé with formats using MS Word as a Word document.
- Open the resumé Word document using MS Word.
- Eliminate bold, underline, centering, italicizing, bullets, indents, or special formatting commands.
- Replace bullets with asterisks or dashes.
- Select a non-proportional, Sans Serif font in 12 point size.
- Ensure that lines which word wrapped do not have extra spaces in them.
- Use the "Save As" command to save the file under a different name and save as a "text only" file. A good new name would be email_resume.
- Open this email_resume file.
- Put a blank line between headings and paragraphs to make skill headings distinguishable.
- Check and correct errors.
- Close the email_resume file until you are ready to test its transmission abilities. It automatically saves the file as a .txt (text file). When you are ready to test your email resumé or to send it, open the file and block highlight all the text. Using your edit function, copy the email resumé file.
- To email, open a new email message. Put cursor in the body of the email message and use the "paste" function in the edit key on your toolbar to bring in the copied email resumé file.
- Check again to make sure that extra spaces, word wrapping, spelling, formatting, etc. are not problems. Put 10 xxxxxxxxxxx between your email cover letter and the email resumé. Double check the email address for accuracy and then send.