The Career Development Center (CDC) is happy to offer Skype and telephone interview capabilities in one of our recruiting rooms in Memorial Hall 125. This is a free service to students.
Interview Room Guidelines (Skype & Telephone)
- You must schedule the time and date of your interview with the WIU Career Development Center to make sure the room is available. Call 298-1838.
- You must have your own personal Skype account to utilize this service. We can help you set one up if you need assistance.
- Skype is a free service and you are allowed to use it for interview/career purposes as many times as necessary.
- For telephone interviews, you must give the employer the appropriate telephone number (309) 298-3351. Please do not call the employer, make sure they call you.
- If you do call the employer, you will be charged for the telephone fees associated with your phone call.
- The Interview Room is available starting at 8:30 a.m. and will close at 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Make sure that your Internet connection is strong, otherwise there are major delays and increased stress levels
- When setting-up the interview, make sure of any time zone differences
- Familiarize yourself with the chat function on Skype to help if you encounter technical difficulties
- Make sure you are in a quiet well-lit area in order to avoid distractions
- Use earphones with a built-in microphone to aid in sound quality
- Always adjust the online status buttons appropriately. If you are on "offline" or "do not disturb" mode, you will not be able to make contact
- If your picture/sound quality is poor, hang up, and call the person back
- Be sure to dress professionally from head to toe. You never can tell, the employer may ask you to stand up
- Look at the web-cam and not the center of the screen, so that you are making "eye-contact"
- Make sure that you are not disturbed; no roommates, pets, cell phones, land-lines, i-pods, or delivery drivers
Career Development Center
Memorial Hall 125
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
Phone: (309) 298-1838