Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
The Do’s In Developing Your Own Internship
There are definite advantages to creating / tailoring your own internship versus settling for just anything.
- Join social networking sites
- Utilize your advisor and department staff
- Attend career fairs
- Use E-recruiting to search for internship opportunities
- Use internship web sites (stated on Career Services web page)
- Let everyone know you are seeking an internship
- Consider seeking a mentor; someone who can give you good advice on what you need to learn
Have Your Paperwork In Order:
- Use Career Services to develop your resume
- Have a great cover letter
- Good to know your exact dates of availability but also indicate you can be flexible if need be
- Indicate you are seeking paid or unpaid internship
- Have letters of reference stating that you are a good worker and are willing to take initiative
- Be ready to explain why you want and internship beyond simply, "I need experience"
- Know how theories you’ve learned in your coursework can benefit the company
- Be focused! Everyone you approach may not be on board with your internship plan so don’t get easily discouraged and give up!
Set Goals And Objectives:
What do you hope to learn?
- To obtain a knowledge base of daily operations for ABC company
- To learn how to produce a quality product and maintain an appropriate budget
- Develop and enhance marketing strategies used in promoting ABC company
- If there is a specific project you would like to work on, be specific about that
What Skills Are You Looking To Develop During An Internship?
- Acquire leadership styles that lead to effective supervision
- Learn technical skills for operating ABC company data base
- Enhance teamwork abilities
- Gain professional development
As You Go Along And At The End Of Your Experience:
- Do document your progress and the steps in which it was achieved
- Meet with your work site internship supervisor and debrief the experience and what you learned
- Send thank you cards to all those who assisted you along the way
- Develop a list of contact people
- Acquire letters of reference
- Write a summary of your experience and share it with people in the company