The Aquatics Center is a fully accessible facility staffed with friendly, professional lifeguards who ensure a safe and positive aquatic environment. We are open in the early morning, at noon, and in the late afternoon/early evening for your convenience. The facility includes a 25-yard pool, an 8-person hot tub, a sauna, and adjacent locker rooms. Informal recreation activities such as water basketball, open swimming, aqua classes, and lap swimming are offered. The Aquatics Center provides a variety of water fitness equipment and is ADA compliant.
This schedule does not reflect breaks, holidays, or finals week.
Planning something special? Host your event in the Aquatics Center at the Rec Center! Call Nick Knowles, 309-298-1228 ext 237, for details and to book your party!
- 25 yards long
- 6 Lanes wide
- ADA Lift Accessible
- Average Temperature: 80 - 82° F
- 4 feet to 12 feet deep
Aqua Climb - Poolside Climbing Wall
- Our NEWEST feature!
- Climb heights almost 16 feet above the water!
- Enjoy the plunge into the deep end of the pool!
- Open as long as the Aquatics Center is open.
- Add small amounts of water to reach your desired temperature.
- Maximum capacity: 16 people
- Long sleeves or pants are not allowed.
- Relax or Rehab in our Hot Tub!
- ADA Lift accessible
- Maximum Capacity: 8 people
- Average Temperature: 103° F
Fall & Spring Semesters: 1 pm - 3 pm
Summer Term: 11 am - 1 pm
- Students and University employees are invited to bring their immediate families and must be present during Family Swim.
- A Spencer Student Recreation Center membership is not required; however, a signed waiver with the WIU affiliate and their valid WIU ID is needed.
- Children must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian at all times and must also remain one arm's distance from their child and in the water at all times.
- Immediate family members who are under the age of 18 must have their parent or legal guardian sign a Family Swim Waiver. No exceptions.
- No one under the age of 16 is allowed to use the whirlpool or sauna. No exceptions.
- Please note the schedule does not reflect breaks, holidays, or finals week.
Lap/ Open Swim (Fall Hours)
- Morning Hours (Monday- Friday)
- 5:30 am - 9 am | 4 lanes will be open, and AquaClimb use available upon request
- 9 am - 11 am (Saturday) 4 lanes will be open, and Aquaclimb available upon request
- Lunch Hours
- 11:00 am - 1:00 PM | 4:00 PM lanes will be open
- Evening Hours
- 3:00 PM - 9:00 PM | 4 lanes will be open (Monday-Thursday)
- 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM | Tuesday/Thursday - Aqua Dance class, 2 lanes will be open for lap swim
- 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM (Saturday)
- 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM (Friday, Sunday) 4 lanes will be open
NEW! Adult Swim Lessons
American Red Cross certified Water Safety Instructor - Learning the Basics or Improving Skills and Swimming Strokes
Group Lessons Prices
- Student - $30
- Member - $30
Spring 2017 Group Classes are as follows: (each class is limited to 10participants and last 6 weeks)
- Sunday evenings from 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Starting on January 29 and ending March 5
Group Lessons Registration
Registration can be done in the Campus Recreation Office. Payment is due upon registration to secure a spot in the class.
Private Lessons Prices
- Student - $100
- Member - $110
- Non-Member - $125
Courses will consist of eight 45-minute lessons.
Private Lessons Registration
- Nick Knowles
- Director of Facilities, Aquatics and Sport Clubs
- (309) 298-1228, Ext. 237
or fill out the following Swim Lesson Registration Form and return it to the Campus Recreation Office.
Space is limited, priority will be given to the following:
- WIU students
- WIU faculty & staff
- Retired WIU faculty staff or spouses
Private Lessons Grants
- Pool rentals are available throughout the semester, pending approval.
- Fees are associated with the rental of the Aquatics Center and lifeguards.
- Requests for the Aquatics Center may be made by filling out a Campus Recreation Facility Request Form at least 72 hours prior to the requested time