Beu Health Center
What We Can Do For You
- Assist students in obtaining required immunization records.
- Maintain, record and retain all immunization records for enrolled students.
- Provided copies of immunization records.
- Answer questions about State requirements for immunizations.
Illinois Immunization Requirements
In 1989, the state of Illinois passed a law requiring college and university students to provide proof of immunity to Tetanus, Diphtheria, Measles, Mumps, and Rubeola. Although not required, the meningitis vaccine is recommended for new freshman and transfer students, and is available for purchase at Beu Health Center.
Students Who Must Comply
The following students must comply with the Illinois Immunization Law:
- Undergraduate students taking 6 credit hours or more
- Graduate students taking 5 credit hours or more
- All students taking 3 or more credit hours during the summer session
All required immunization information must be submitted and in compliance within the first 10 days of the semester on campus. Failure to do so will result in registration encumbrance and a processing fee.
There is a fee for receiving additional immunizations at Beu Health Center by appointment. For details, please call (309) 298-1888.Immunizations offered at Beu Health Center
Prices may change without notice.
Acceptable Documentation of Immunizations
An immunization form is available for use of documenting immunizations. This form is NOT required if an official record can be provided with a verifying signature.
Illinois high schools are a good source for obtaining an up-to-date record. A copy of the high school record is acceptable.
Copies of a baby book are acceptable providing there is an official signature verifying dates and the name of the person receiving the shots.
Your family doctors office may be able to provide the record of immunization. A signature by a health care provider or their nurse is acceptable.
Previous Colleges and Universities students have attended may have required immunization information. A copy from a previous College or University is acceptable.
Students who are exempt:
You may be exempt from the Illinois Immunization Law if you meet one or more of the following
- born before 1957
- matriculated (first attended) before 1989
- students with approved medical waivers
- students with approved religious exemptions
- students taking less than half of a full-time load each semester
U.S. students must show verified proof of immunity by:
- Tetanus/Diphtheria (TD) shot within last 10 years.
- Two measles shots (rubeola); the first one given on or after the first birthday and administered after January 1, 1968. Second shot must be given at least 30 days after the first or laboratory evidence of immunity.
- One rubella and mumps shot on or after first birthday or laboratory evidence of immunity.
TD and MMR may be administered together -- if a second MMR is required, student can return in 30 days.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS must show proof of immunity to include:
- Three DPT's or 3 TD's received according to TD administration guidelines; the most recent TD must be within the last 10 years.
- Two rubeola shots; the first one given on or after the first birthday and administered after January 1, 1968; the second one given at least 30 days after the first shot or laboratory evidence of immunity.
- Two rubella and mumps shot given after the first birthday or laboratory evidence of immunity, or proof of two MMR's.
- TB blood test to be administered upon arrival at WIU.
- If the TB blood test is positive, a chest x-ray will be required. Immunization Record Form
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS NEEDING BOTH second TD & MMR -- both should be administered four - six weeks after the initial series. If you are not able to present us with proper documentation, we are required by law to re-administer the immunizations.
Questions may be addressed to:
The Immunization Compliance Officer