Beu Health Center
Client Rights and Responsibilities
Medical records are confidential and are not released to anyone, including parents, spouse, friends and/or University personnel without the written consent of the patient.
The Client has a Right:
- To be treated with respect and dignity and be provided with courteous, professional care, without discrimination due to race, religion, gender, cultural practices, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or HIV status;
- To obtain from the healthcare provider complete and current information about your diagnosis,treatment and prognosis in terms that the patient can reasonably be expected to understand. When it is medically inadvisable to give such information to the patient,the information will be made available to an appropriate person on the patient's behalf;
- To participate in decisions regarding your healthcare treatment; and to have one's cultural beliefs and traditions respected in the treatment process.
- To a safe environment with suitable privacy;
- To know the names, credentials and positions of the people providing treatment;
- To have fees and conditions of service explained to you at the time of service and to receive an itemized receipt for services rendered;
- To have access to information concerning health education, self care, and prevention of illness and to be informed of the personal responsibilities involved in seeking treatment and maintaining health and well being;
- To refuse treatment, and be informed of the potential medical consequences resulting from such a refusal;
- To expect that communication and records pertaining to his/her healthcare are confidential and will be protected as such, except in such instances where disclosure is required by law;
- To consent to or withhold consent regarding the release of confidential records and individually identifiable treatment information to outside parties; except in such instances where required by law. The process of consent and the option for refusal will be explained to clients upon request;
- To communicate any grievances or suggestions about the care or services received through the patient satisfaction survey, suggestion boxes or patient advocate without being terminated from services;
- To request a second opinion or a referral to a higher level of care;
- To change healthcare provider if other qualifed providers are available.
The Patient has a Right and a Responsibility:
- To give your practitioner complete and honest information about your past and present health, mental health and/or addiction symptoms and to inform the practitioner of any lifestyle, health or mental health issues that could affect your health or the health treatment plan;
- To assist your health care provider in compiling a complete record by authorizing the Health Center to obtain necessary information from appropriate sources;
- To inform your provider about any living will, medical power of attorney, or other directive that could affect your care;
- To understand and follow the treatment plan prescribed by your healthcare provider and to discuss any difficulties or questions you might have adhering to the treament plan or to following health care provider recommendations;
- To ask questions and seek clarification regarding areas of concern; and to weigh the consequences of refusing to comply with instructions and recommendations;
- To act in a respectful and considerate manner with Health Center personnel and patients;
- To arrive at your appointments on time or give timely notice of cancellation, so that other patients may utilize that time;
- To abstain from alcohol and/or the use of non-prescribed or illegal drugs prior to presenting for scheduled appointments as well as to use prescribed medication in the dosages recommended by your healthcare provider.
- To accept your role in managing your own wellness and to make choices in your daily life that reinforce the choice of wellness and balance in the areas of nutrition, appropriate sleep, physical activity and entertainment;
- To fulfill financial obligations for care and services at the time services are rendered;
- To perform all administrative functions with regards to filing his/her insurance claims, whether via student health insurance or outside vendors.
Beu Health Center
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
Phone: (309) 298-1888
Fax: (309) 298-2188