Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Alcohol & Other Drugs
Alcoholism is a chronic illness distinguished by a person's dependence on alcohol. Some signs of alcoholism could be a craving for alcohol, inability to regularly limit the number of drinks they have, withdrawal symptoms when not drinking (physical dependence), and a tolerance or need to drink more to feel the effects from alcohol. There are outlying factors that could increase a person's probability of becoming an alcoholic, such as genetics or environment. There is no magical cure for alcoholism, but getting help in counseling and treatment can help someone quit drinking.
- High blood pressure
- Liver diseases
- Stomach ulcers
- Intestinal bleeding
- Weight gain
- Bone loss
- Decreased testosterone
- Brain damage
- Nerve damage
- Enlarged heart
Does my friend have a problem?
Respond "yes" or "no" to the following statements:
- Your personality is altered when you drink alcohol
- When you are presented with a social scenario (i.e., a party) that has no alcohol, you feel uncomfortable
- You sometimes have a drink to help you sleep
- You have been arrested for intoxicated behavior or driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Even after your friends say they've had enough alcohol, you want to continue drinking.
- Your family or friends have expressed concern about your drinking.
- It is hard for you to stop drinking after just a couple drinks.
- Drinking has caused you to be late to work, skip class, or perform poorly on an exam.
- Certain friends encourage you to drink.
- You find yourself at times craving a drink.
- You always seem to end up drunk when you drink, even if that wasn't the intention
- When you're sober, you regret things you said or did while you were drinking.
I need help
Call the AOD/RC or another licensed facility with expertise in substance abuse and schedule an appointment to meet with a substance abuse counselor. At the AOD/RC, this is free of charge.
Alcohol & Other Drugs Resource Center
Seal Hall 208
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
Phone (309) 298-2457
Hours 8:00am - 4:00pm M - F
Administrative E-mail: MM-Harris@wiu.edu