Quad Cities Campus
Admission of New Graduate Students
Application to the School of Graduate Studies at Western Illinois University may be completed online at wiu.edu/grad. A $30 non-refundable application fee is required.
Applicants for admission to the School of Graduate Studies must hold a bachelor's degree from an institution that is accredited by the appropriate U.S. Department of Education regional institutional accrediting agency. Applicants usually apply for admission to a degree program simultaneously with admission to the School of Graduate Studies. If the applicant meets the minimum admission requirements of the School of Graduate Studies, a copy of the application materials is forwarded to the program of interest for consideration.
Admission in any program of the School of Graduate Studies is contingent upon successful completion of undergraduate coursework specified as a prerequisite. Admission requirements for any particular graduate degree program may exceed the minimum admission standards of the School of Graduate Studies. No one may pursue an advanced degree at Western without being admitted to the appropriate degree program. Certain programs require the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). Requirements for each program are listed in the program section of this catalog. Some programs may require domestic applicants who are non-native speakers of English with foreign degree credentials to demonstrate verbal proficiency in the English language in order to undertake graduate studies. Students should consult with the departmental graduate committee chair to obtain a more detailed written description of the program requirements.
Applicants may be accepted in the School of Graduate Studies as degree-seeking graduate students, probationary graduate students, or nondegree graduate students.
Application for Admission
Application procedures for Graduate School Admissions differ depending on your classification. Determine which of the following classification best describes you:
If you are an international student, you may apply online through the International Admissions website. Go to This link will open in a new browser window www.student.services.wiu.edu/admissions/int/.
New Students - You are classified as a This link will open in a new browser window NEW graduate student if any of the following apply to you:
- You have a bachelor's degree or equivalent and have never attended WIU.
- You have a bachelor's degree from WIU but have never enrolled in additional WIU coursework at any level.
- You have previously enrolled as an undergraduate student at WIU, but later earned your bachelor's degree at another institution.
- You are applying for a second bachelor's degree and have never enrolled in any WIU coursework since earning your first degree.
- You have applied to WIU graduate school within the past two years but were not able to attend.
- You are currently a WIU undergraduate student and are applying for an integrated baccalaureate and master's degree program.
You may This link will open in a new browser window Apply Online.
Readmitting Former Students - You are classified as a This link will open in a new browser window READMISSION (former) graduate student if:
- You have previously applied to Graduate School and earned a grade (even a W) and have not attended within the past year (includes nondegree students enrolled in only one or two courses several years ago).
- You have just completed a graduate (or second bachelor's degree) and wish to enroll in coursework for the term immediately following degree completion.
Current Student - You are classified as a This link will open in a new browser window CURRENT graduate student if:
- You are currently enrolled in any level WIU course(s) as a degree-seeking or nondegree graduate student.
- You have enrolled as a graduate student in coursework within the past year and have not just completed a graduate degree.