Western Illinois University - Quad Cities - Academics
Web Tools and Search Bar
Quad Cities Campus
The WIU-QC College of Arts & Sciences programs now boast several unique and active student organizations. As described further below, the Liberal Arts & Sciences Student Organization (LASSO) is aimed broadly at building an exciting intellectual culture and new opportunities for all arts & sciences students, while the Interdisciplinary English and the Arts Society (IDEAS) is especially dedicated to building opportunities related to literature and the arts and the Aquarium, Biology, & Zoology Society (ABZS) is especially focused on the life sciences.
Students, faculty, staff, family, & friends on the Art Institute of Chicago bus trip. NEW: See photos from 2014 Shedd trip!
Here are some of the events organized by these groups in recent semesters:
- Annual Chicago charter-bus trips to the National Museum of Mexican Art, the Dusable Museum of African American History, the Field Museum, the Arts Institute of Chicago, and the Shedd Aquarium
- Trips to watch performances of the Vagina Monologues
- Lectures, guided tours, and other visits to the FIGGE art museum and the Putnam science museum in Davenport
- Presidential debate and election night viewing parties
- An annual resumé-building conversation with representatives of local employers about the post-liberal-arts-degree job market
- Dinner and a Lecture nights, most recently with talks by internationally-famous environmentalist Bill McKibben, science writer Michael Shermer, gay rights activist Zach Wahls, and cancer survivor and ecologist Sandra Steingraber
Dinner before a lecture by Zach Wahls about growing up with two moms.
And here are even more:
- A "Big Read" panel discussion about Ray Bradbury's novel Fahrenheit 451 at the Moline Public Library
- Coffee House Bashes and Open Mic Nights including lots of student-composed short stories and poetry readings (complete with contest prizes)
- Screenings of short films and poster presentations featuring great African American writers, musicians, and other major historical figures
- Celebration of Banned Books Week
- Native American History Month and Women's History Month bake sales, with proceeds donated to local nonprofits
- A Darwin Day celebration with biologist and geneticist guest speakers from the University of Iowa
- Service nights at a Rock Island men's shelter
Matt Brown, student organizer of a Darwin Day celebration, welcomes early arrivals.
Liberal Arts & Sciences Student Organization (LASSO)
- President: Caitlen O'Day
- Vice President: Toni Leveille
- Secretary: Kathleen Hillyer
- Treasurer: Elisabeth Decrane
- SGA Liaison: Claire Larson
- Faculty Advisor: Everett Hamner
More info about LASSO can be found on its Facebook page.
LASSO leaders (from left): Everett Hamner, Matthew Brown, Alysa Grimes, Antoinette Brown, Caitlen O'Day, Chris Ebalo, Aaron Graf
Interdisciplinary English & the Arts Society (IDEAS)
- President: Chris Sanders-Ring
- Vice President: Di Ann Vulich
- Secretary: Allyson Borkgren
- Treasurer: Shanna Herr
- Faculty Advisor: Dan Malachuk (Audrey Adamson for 2013-14)
More info about IDEAS can be found on its Facebook page.
IDEAS leaders (from left): Chris Sanders-Ring, Cait Bodenbender, Leann Weiss, Jason Kuna