Quad Cities Campus

Grad Students at Niabi Zoo

WIU-QC Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Programs

Admission to Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Programs

Applicants for admission to post-baccalaureate certificate programs must hold a bachelor’s degree from an institution that is accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency. Some certificate programs have additional admission requirements or prerequisites. Application for admission must be made on-line at wiu.edu/grad. Applicants must request the Registrar of the college or university granting their highest degree to send a statement of degree or official transcript showing the degree and date it was conferred. Verification of degree must be sent by the Registrar directly to the School of Graduate Studies. Transcripts on file in the Registrar’s Office at WIU will be obtained by Graduate Office personnel.

Academic Requirements

Students must have a cumulative 3.0 GPA for all course work required for completion of the certificate. A post-baccalaureate certificate will not be awarded to a student who earns more than three semester hours of C, D, F, or U grades in the graduate level courses required for the completion of the certificate. No course for which a student has received a grade of D or less may be used to satisfy certificate requirements. Transfer work or course substitutions are not allowed in certificate programs.

The work required for the certificate must be completed within three calendar years. Students may petition the Graduate Council for an extension of time for outdated courses. Evidence must show that such courses have been revalidated by examination or some other means as determined by the department.

If approved by the specific academic department, courses taken to satisfy certificate requirements may be used to satisfy post-baccalaureate degree requirements at the University.

All students must file a formal application for post-baccalaureate certificate completion. Deadlines for submitting the application for graduation are as follows: Spring Semester, March 10; Summer Session, June 10; and Fall Semester, October 10. Applications received after these dates will be automatically moved to the next semester. Application forms can be found at wiu.edu/grad.



Frequently Asked Questions about Post-Baccalaureate Certificates

Does earning a post-baccalaureate certificate make me eligible to be certified to teach in a public school system?
No.   Those wishing to gain certification to teach in a public school system should visit the website at wiu.edu/cpep for information on how to become certified. 

How do I apply for a post-baccalaureate certificate program?
If you have never applied to the School of Graduate Studies before, you should apply online at https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=wiug .  You may apply for the certificate only at this time or if you wish you may apply for both a certificate and a degree program in the same application.   Instructions  will be provided within the application.  Please note that admission into a certificate program does not guarantee admission into a degree program.

If you have already submitted an application to the School of Graduate Studies for a degree program and now wish to ADD a post-baccalaureate certificate, you only need to complete the application for post-baccalaureate certificate.   Remember you will do this ONLY if you have already submitted an application and paid the $30 application fee. If you are in doubt, contact the School of Graduate Studies for assistance.

Are students enrolled in a post-baccalaureate certificate program eligible for graduate assistantships and student loans?
Students enrolled solely in a post-baccalaureate certificate program are not eligible for graduate assistantships.  However, if enrolled in a certificate program simultaneously with a degree program, graduate assistantships are  an option.   (Students accepted into degree programs on a probationary status are not eligible for graduate assistantships while on probation.)

Students enrolled solely in a post-baccalaureate certificate program are eligible for federal financial aid but it only covers courses that are required for the certificate. Since most certificate programs require very few hours,  students should be very careful to make sure they will be enrolled in enough hours to be eligible for financial aid (6 hours for part-time aid and 9 hours for full-time aid). Many students find they do not have enough hours for financial aid their last term.

How do I obtain credit for ZOOL 578, Zoo Practicum?
Supervisor at facility writes a letter verifying the student worked at least 120 hours with a brief description of their work. Letter should be mailed to Dr. Mike Romano, Chairman of Biology Dept, Room 372 Waggoner Hall, WIU, Macomb, IL 61455.


Explore WIU-Macomb Campus Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Programs.

If you need this content in an alternative format, please contact Karin Chouinard at (309)762-3999 ext. 62314 or KK-Chouinard@wiu.edu.