Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
File code: PRO.MILITARY.POL
Approval Date: 12/12/12
Approved By: President
Active Military Service
A student, or the spouse of a student with a dependent child, who during the course of an academic term, is called into active military service, including National Guard and Reserve, and is not in attendance at the end of the term, will be considered to be a case of extreme hardship.
A copy of active duty papers must be filed in the Office of the Registrar within 30 days of the end of the academic term. The spouse or domestic partner of a student with a dependent child must also provide a marriage certificate or other appropriate documentation, and the dependent's birth certificate within 30 days of the end of the academic term.
- Students will receive course and refund credits as follows:
- Withdrawal: At any point in the term, a student called to active duty may withdraw from school by filing a Military Activation form in the Office of the Registrar. The student will receive an appropriate credit of tuition/fees. The Office of the Registrar will process the withdrawal and arrange for appropriate adjustments to the account. The student's guaranteed tuition plan will be extended to the maximum allowable.
- Selective Drops: A student may drop one or more courses and elect to complete remaining course work according to option C. or D. below. A full credit of tuition/fees for dropped courses will be honored.
- Incompletes: Students who have successfully completed the majority of work for a course can be awarded a grade of 'I' at the discretion of their instructor. Students may be granted extensions on the incompletes because they may be away an extended period of time.
- Final Grades: A final grade option becomes available if the following requirements are met: 1) the instructor determines that a sufficient amount of the course has been completed, and 2) sufficient information about a student's performance in the course has been obtained. Students must consult with their instructor to determine whether these two requirements have been met in order for a final grade to be awarded.
- Percentage of attendance during the term will be based on the calendar period which includes the first day of classes through the last day of final exams.
- The University will follow the U.S. Department of Education guidelines regarding federal return of funds. Students who are activated into military service will be accommodated by the Financial Aid Office regarding satisfactory progress standards within an academic year. Western Illinois University talent tuition waivers will remain on the student's account, as awarded, up to the amount of the University charges. Campus-based academic scholarships that have been disbursed will remain credited to the student's account.
- Any student receiving a 100 percent credit of tuition and fees for all courses will receive a full credit of the Student Health Insurance fee. Coverage for the entire semester in which the student receives the credit will be removed.
Any student originally assessed the Student Health Insurance fee who chooses to remain enrolled in a minimum of nine semester hours of on-campus courses will remain insured for the entire semester. The student will not receive a credit of the Student Health Insurance fee.
Any student originally assessed the Student Health Insurance fee who chooses to remain enrolled in less than nine semester hours of on-campus courses will receive a credit of the entire fee. Exceptions will be made in the event that a claim has been filed for the semester in which the student is withdrawing.
- The University Union Bookstore will issue refunds for all books returned prior to the student's departure depending upon the physical condition of the books.
- Students who are activated into military service during the term will have the opportunity to appeal any academic or financial action taken by the University. Appeals may be filed before being called to active duty, or if this is not possible, within six months after the conclusion of active duty.
- University Housing and Dining Services will refund 100% of room charges, a daily rate proration on the overhead charge, and actual unused points when a student is activated during the term and totally withdraws from Western Illinois University. If the activated student keeps any of his/her classes for credit, then University Housing and Dining Services will refund based on a daily proration of room and overhead charges and actual unused points.
- All efforts will be made to accommodate the educational and financial guarantees for students returning from active duty.
- Students who are members of the National Guard or the Military Reserves will be allowed a reasonable time to make up work lost while at two weeks of required annual active duty or for excused absences of not longer than two weeks after the term has started.