Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Notice to WIU Community: Off Campus Assault
January 21, 2014
MACOMB, IL -- The Macomb Police Department (MPD) reported to the Western Illinois University Office of Public Safety (OPS) today (Tuesday, Jan. 21) that a sexual assault occurred in the early morning hours Jan. 18 in the northwest section of Macomb.
A female WIU student reported to Macomb Police that she was walking near Charles Street around 4:15 a.m. Jan. 18 when she was approached by two males, both wearing black ski masks, in a gray Ford Focus. She reported the male on the passenger side pulled her into the vehicle and assaulted her. The men then released her from the vehicle and she fled the scene. As the incident occurred off campus, the Macomb Police Department was contacted and is investigating the incident.
MPD and OPS would like to remind students living in campus apartments, residence halls and off-campus houses and apartments to:
• Report any suspicious activity/behavior/individuals to local and/or campus police. • Walk in groups whenever possible.
• Be aware of surroundings.
• Travel in populated, well-lit areas.
• Use Go West, the University's transit system, or the OPS escort service.
• Trust your instincts and use good judgment.
• Avoid being alone or with someone you do not know.
• Communicate to others where you are going and with whom.
If anyone has any knowledge that may assist in locating and/or identifying the person(s) responsible, contact Macomb police at (309) 833-4505, Public Safety at (309) 298-1949 or Macomb Area Crime Stoppers at (309) 836-3222. Individuals can also send information to the Macomb Police Department's anonymous Text to Tip service by texting the word MPDTIPS along with the information to CRIMES (274637).
Posted By: WIU News, University Relations
Phone: (309) 298-1993 * Fax: (309) 298-1606