Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
University Dance Theatre Faculty Dance Works Concert Set for Nov. 29-Dec. 1
November 20, 2012
MACOMB, IL -- Western Illinois University's annual Faculty Dance Works Concert will offer an evening of modern, ballet and tap dance choreographed by students and instructors in University Dance Theatre (UDT). The 2012 concert is slated to run for three nights, starting at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 29 – Saturday, Dec. 1 in the Hainline Theatre in Browne Hall.
Candace Winters-March, professor of dance, adviser and co-artistic director of UDT will feature, "Something…Intended," a satire of recent political events, which was choreographed in collaboration with members of the cast. This piece will be performed and compete at the American College Dance Festival in Michigan next February.
Heidi Clemmens, associate professor of dance and co-artistic director of UDT, will present her piece, "Can't Get There from Here," which involves members of Bridgeway, Inc., a local community organization that provides service to individuals with developmental disabilities, as well as features members of UDT.
"Please/Thank You," choreographed by this semester's guest artist Billbob Brown, features cello music composed by cellist Kristen Miller, who develops pieces with Brown through "Cello Theory Dance." This piece explores a concept out of the work for the Center for Nonviolent Communication (CNVC) that asserts all communication boils down to one or the other of the two phrases "please" or "thank you" and declares if all people listened to this, individuals might avoid interpersonal conflict. The piece is constructed through a series of very physical non-dance tasks that evolve from the thwarting of a partner's intentions and goals to the empowering of the individual within a group.
Student choreographers and the titles of their pieces include:
- Amanda Goerlitz (Huntley, IL), senior, general studies major, dance minor; "Vidorra," a dance of seven
- Amy Jarzembowski (Chicago, IL), senior, musical theatre major; "Color Me Beautiful," a dance of six
- Melissa Johnson (Chicago, IL), senior, general studies major; "Pieces of Me," a dance of seven
- Lauren Krohe (Table Grove, IL), sophomore, broadcasting major, dance minor; co-choreographer of "Variations," a tap duet
- Emily Rhein (Des Moines, IA), junior, musical theatre major; co-choreographer of "Variations," a tap duet
- Anna Themanson (Aurora, IL), senior, sociology major; "He…," a dance of six
For more information, contact the theatre and dance department at (309) 298-1543.
Posted By: WIU News, University Relations
Phone: (309) 298-1993 * Fax: (309) 298-1606