WIU Ag Students Bring Home Honors from PAS Nat'l Conference
March 19, 2012
MACOMB, IL – A few Western Illinois University students took home honors from their individual competitions at the National Postsecondary Agricultural Student (PAS) Organization Conference in West Des Moines (IA) last week. According to WIU School of Agriculture Professor and WIU PAS Chapter Co-Adviser Andrew Baker, eight students majoring in agriculture competed in the national-level contests as a result of their individual and team performances at the Illinois PAS fall and annual conference contests held previously this academic year.
Baker said the students' participation in the state and national PAS Organization conferences, events and student competitions provides them with practical networking and career preparation skills. He noted the students represented Western very well at the national competition. The students who attended and competed at the National PAS Conference last week include:
- Wyatt McGrew (Prairie City, IL) — First place, Employment Interview, Agricultural Education;
- Stephanie Nelson (Good Hope, IL) — First place, Ag Sales (CPA), and first place, Employment Interview, Animal Health;
- Kaylyn Schiber (Livingston, CA) — First place, Agricultural Education (CPA) Career Program Area;
- Daniel Mitchell (Colchester, IL) — Second place, Employment Interview, Ag Equipment Service;
- Trenton Taber (Atkinson, IL) — Second place, Employment Interview, Ag Sales;
- Greg Kirlin (Camp Point, IL) — Third place, Career Planning, Ruminant Animal Systems; and
- Riley Hintzsche (Lindenwood, IL) participated in Impromptu Speaking, and Kyle Wood (Claypool, IN) participated in Quiz Bowl Team competition.
Michelle Howe, interim assistant director in Western's Office of Career Services and WIU PAS chapter co-adviser, agreed the chapter's overall performance at the conference was impressive, particularly since the chapter is only two years old.
"Compared to other colleges and universities, we brought fewer students, yet the majority of our students brought home national awards in their respective areas. We did very well in this competition," she said.
According to Baker, Growmark, a supplier of agricultural equipment and supplies, sponsored the students' participation in the National PAS Conference and helped fund their trip.
For more information about the WIU PAS chapter, contact Baker at (309) 298-1246 or via email at AJ-Baker@wiu.edu. For more information about the PAS Organization or about the conference, visit www.nationalpas.org. Learn more about the WIU School of Agriculture at www.wiu.edu/ag.