Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
WIU Broadcasting Students Finalists in National Competition
February 17, 2014
MACOMB, IL - Students in the Western Illinois University Department of Broadcasting have broken a record for the number of finalists in a national competition.
The department has 11 nominations, the largest yet, in the National Association of Broadcasting Society's Undergraduate Student Electronic Media Competition.
Students received nominations in the video newscast category for the first time this year. "NEWS3 Live at 4" took half of the nominations, with two episodes qualifying as finalists. NEWS3 is a student-produced newscast that airs live every semester twice a week.
Department Chair William "Buzz" Hoon says the newscast recognition speaks to the quality of instruction students are receiving from faculty member Jasmine Crighton.
Jasmine Crighton, news coordinator for the student newscasts, joined broadcasting in August 2012 and has helped to organize news coverage and train the student producers and directors. Crighton says the two nominated newscasts were ones that centered on the tornadoes that devastated nearby Washington, IL. A student crew attended a media conference the day after the storms swept through and reported on the storm's cleanup.
"Anyone watching those newscasts wouldn't think they were watching students. It was quality reporting, anchoring, producing and technical work. The way we handled those stories shows our students' professionalism, and I'm very proud of the work they are doing," said Crighton.
This year's finalists include:
- Audio Feature Package "Watchdog in Macomb," Audio Feature Segment "Balloon Rally in Macomb," Video News Segment "Tornado Hits Washington, IL" and Animation "Super Quest: Season 1, Episode 2: Those Who Fight Further" by Chris Lovingood, senior, Peoria, IL
- Audio PSA "WIU Dance Marathon PSA" by Jay Jacobs, junior, Harvard, IL
- Audio PSA "Macomb Family Diner PSA" and Audio Commercial "Chicks on the Square Commercial" by Pierce Roberson, senior, Chicago, IL
- Audio Commercial "Chicks Commercial" by Anthony Jones, junior, Poplar Grove, IL
- Video Newscast "NEWS3 November 19, 2013" by Chris Lovingood, Toria Duffey (graduate), Joseph Mazanek (graduate), Ryan Stoops (graduate) and Jack Pluta (senior, Laurium, MI)
- Video Newscast "NEWS3 Live at 4 11-21-13" by Pierce Roberson, Chris Lovingood, Jay Jacobs, Dana Zimmer (senior, Sugar Grove, IL)
- Video Sports Program "Pigskin Preview" by Andrew Bacon, junior, Chatham, IL