Students Qualify to Compete at National Agriculture Conference/Competition
November 14, 2013
MACOMB, IL – Five Western Illinois University students recently qualified to compete at the National Postsecondary Agricultural Student (PAS) Organization Conference in St. Cloud, MN, next March. A total of 12 students attended the Fall Illinois PAS Conference in Bloomington, IL, in late October, where they competed in contests that determined their advancement to the national-level competition next spring.
WIU School of Agriculture students who qualified include:
- Sarah Farmer (Monmouth, IL), first place, fertilizers and ag chemicals employment interview;
- Jennifer Honnold (Oakland, IL), first place, agricultural education employment interview; and
- Christian Thurwanger (Sycamore, IL), Jenny Jackson (Jacksonville, IL) and Morgan Wessel (Chandlerville, IL), first place, swine specialist team (Wessel also was the second high individual and Thurwanger was the third high individual in this contest category).
School of Ag students who also placed at the competition include:
- Riley Hintzsche (Lindenwood, IL), third place, discussion meet;
- Evan Sheppard (Pearl, IL), third place, forestry and natural resources employment interview; and
- Ben Shriver (Ursa, IL), third place, agribusiness administration employment interview.
WIU PAS Chapter members who also attended the fall conference include: Sarah Le'Jeune (La Harpe, IL), Travis Whittaker (Taylorville, IL), Kelsey Handy (Ashland, IL) and Grace Foster (Joliet, IL).
For more information, contact the WIU School of Agriculture at (309) 298-1080. Learn more about the School of Ag at www.wiu.edu/ag.