WIU NAACP Chapter Masquerade Ball Feb. 15, C.O.L.O.R.S. Week Kick Off
February 8, 2013
MACOMB, IL – The Western Illinois University College Chapter of the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) is sponsoring a Masquerade Ball, which is slated to start at 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 15 at the Bayliss/Henninger Underground. Food and beverages will be served, and a live DJ will provide music for the event.
According to Alicia Allen, president of Western's NAACP chapter, the Masquerade Ball is open to WIU students, as well as to the general public. WIU students can purchase tickets for $3 in advance or $4 at the door. Tickets for non-students are $5 in advance or $6 at the door. Tickets can be purchased at the Gwendolyn Brooks Cultural Center or from WIU NAACP chapter members Alicia Allen, Brooke Dunlap or Ashley Ryan.
The Masquerade Ball is the kick off event for C.O.L.O.R.S. Week, which is organized by the chapter and held during Western's celebration of Black History Month (see "Black History Month Commemorated at WIU in February").
According to Allen, C.O.L.O.R.S. stands for "Controlling Our Lives by Overcoming and Restoring Our Situations." The week's events include:
- 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18—Black History Trivia, Multicultural Center
- 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19—bake sale, Morgan Hall
- 7-9 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 20—Mind Over Matter educational presentation, Carl Sandburg Lounge, University Union
- 4-6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21—study tables, Leslie F. Malpass Library, fifth floor
- 7-9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 22—speed dating, Sandburg Lounge, University Union
The Masquerade Ball is also co-sponsored by the Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity, Cultural Expressions, UNITY, African Student Association and the Black Student Association
For more information, contact Allen at AC-Allen@wiu.edu.