Ag Students Take Home Awards from IL PAS Contests; Five Qualify to Compete at National PAS Competition Next Spring
November 29, 2012
MACOMB, IL -- As a result of earning a first or second place in the competitions held at the Illinois Postsecondary Agricultural Student (PAS) Organization Conference earlier this month, five Western Illinois University students qualified to compete at the National Postsecondary Agricultural Student (PAS) Organization Conference in Louisville (KY) next March.
According to Michelle Howe, co-adviser for the Western's Collegiate FFA/PAS group and assistant director of Career Services at WIU, 11 agriculture majors participated in the statewide contest Nov. 9 at Spoon River College in Canton. Students who earned awards at the event include:
- Sarah Ziegler, junior (La Harpe, IL), and Aaron Prins, junior (Olney, IL) — First Place, Team Crops Specialist; First and Second Place, respectively, in Individual Crops Specialist
- Christy Miller, sophomore (Clinton, IL), and Sarah Farmer, junior (Monmouth, IL) — Seventh Place, Team Crops Specialist (out of 18 teams)
- Stephanie Nelson, senior (Good Hope, IL); Greg Kirlin, sophomore (Camp Point, IL); and Taylor Speckhart, sophomore (Princeville, IL) — Third Place, Team Beef Specialist
- Greg Kirlin, Third Place, Individual Beef Specialist
Employment Interview Results
- Riley Hintzsche, senior (Lindenwood, IL) — First Place in Agricultural Education
- Daniel Mitchell, junior (Colchester, IL) — First Place in Ag Equipment Service
- Stephanie Nelson — First Place in Ag Communications
- Aaron Prins — Second Place in Ag Sales
- Sarah Ziegler — Third Place in Crop Production
- Greg Kirlin — Third Place in Agribusiness Administration
- Elizabeth Bollin, sophomore (Nauvoo, IL) — Third Place in Landscaping and Nursery
Hintzsche, Mitchell, Nelson, Prins and Ziegler qualified to compete at the national conference next spring.
WIU School of Agriculture Professor Andrew Baker, who is also a co-adviser for the student group, said the students' participation in the state and national PAS Organization conferences, events and student competitions provides them with practical networking and career preparation skills.
For more information about the WIU PAS chapter, contact Howe at (309) 298-1838 or MC-Howe@wiu.edu or Baker at (309) 298-1246 or AJ-Baker@wiu.edu. For more information about the PAS Organization or about the conference, visit www.nationalpas.org. Learn more about the WIU School of Agriculture at www.wiu.edu/ag.