Services of particular interest to our faculty
Course Reserves | Library Liaisons | Library Instruction | Databases | Research Services | Borrowing Materials | Faculty Lounge | New Books | Curriculum Library | Study Carrels | Digital Commons | Government & Legal Information | Getting Published | Additional Library Policies
We encourage your use of Reserves as a way to offer short-term access to important resources for all students. You can use the online form to place both library and personal copies of class materials on reserve. We can also provide password-protected access to scanned/digital materials via electronic reserves (ERes). Questions? Call 309-298-2411 for help.
Each academic department has a designated library faculty liaison who communicates library updates, works with you to purchase materials, and answers your questions about the library. Many of your liaisons have created a department guide to resources in your field.
Library faculty members tailor class sessions to your assignments and projects, highlighting the most effective databases and search strategies for your students. To arrange for such a class, in either your classroom or one of the two in Malpass, fill out the form with your preferred dates. Questions? Call 309-298-2785 x3 for help.
The library provides access to numerous multidisciplinary and discipline-specific databases and e-journals.
- To access these from off campus, use them through our webpages. Doing so will bring up a remote authorization box. You can get in with either your WIU Library ID # (21711 followed by your WIU 9-digit number) or WIU ECom username & password.
- Many provide persistent link capabilities at the article and/or citation level, so you can include direct links to articles in your Western Online pages.
- Use our Link Converter to give your students remote access to the articles.
We have a Reference Desk for walk up/IM/phone questions, but you can also make an appointment to see an individual librarian for help conducting more complex research or finding obscure sources. Please encourage your students to ask us for assistance as well. Questions? Call 309-298-2700 or 1-800-413-6544 for help.
- Faculty checkout period for books in our catalog is 16 weeks. Two renewals are allowed.
- Although print periodicals generally do not circulate, faculty members may borrow journals for 3 days.
- Faculty checkout period for books borrowed through I-Share, our catalog of materials in all of the 80+ libraries in our consortium, is 4 weeks, with six renewals allowed. (Help creating an account)
- If neither the library nor the consortium has the materials needed for your research, we can request them from a larger pool of libraries. Use an ILLiad form to order. (Help creating an account) ILLiad can also be used to order copies of articles, which will be scanned and sent to you digitally.
- Surrogate: You may appoint a student to check out material in your name. Once you complete the form, it will be kept on file at the Access Services desk. Your surrogate must present his or her ID (not yours) to check out materials for you.
- Questions? Call 309-298-2705 for help.
Faculty Lounge (Malpass 517 & 518)
Exclusively for faculty use as both lounge and workspace, the rooms are located on the 5th level. The space is equipped with comfortable furniture as well as computers, printer, smartboard, and more. Get the key at the Access Services Desk on the main level.
Look online or come in and browse, 2nd level, Malpass Library.
Curriculum Library (Horrabin Hall 80)
We collect materials for teachers, so we have games, activity kits, and lots of books for children and families, from picture books through young adult literature. Questions? Call 309-298-1101 for help.
Malpass Library has 18 study carrels that may be reserved for a semester.
The Digital Commons includes a 30-seat media conference room and a Digital Studio for developing digital media projects. Both are reservable. You can also check out some of our equipment. Questions? Call 309-298-2417 for help
The unit houses federal and Illinois documents, maps, and legal reference materials. It also serves as a Patent & Trademark Resource Center. If you or your students need GIS help with data, ask here. Questions? Call 309-298-2722 for help.
You might also be interested in…
One of our faculty members has created a guide to choosing and evaluating journals for possible publication.