Policies & Procedures
The Malpass Library will provide material through Interlibrary Loan to WIU faculty, staff, and students. This will include material received through I-Share, ILLiad, and other lending libraries including international loans. Some examples of material obtained through Interlibrary Loan includes: books, articles, media such as Video tapes, DVDs or CDs, and microfilm.
- Users may request items by sending requests through I-Share or ILLiad.
- Interlibrary Loan will not accept orders for materials via the phone for WIU users
The WIU Malpass Library’s Interlibrary Loan Office follows the fair use guidelines of the COPYRIGHT LAW. These guidelines allow libraries to obtain, during one calendar year, only five interlibrary loan copies of articles from a given journal if those articles were published within five years prior to the date of the request. The five-article limit does not apply to any article published earlier than the five-year threshold.
Most Interlibrary Loan requests are obtained at no charge because of our consortial relationships. However, the guidelines for U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S. Code) outline situations in which copyright fees would have to be paid:
- Anytime a library requests more than FIVE articles from ONE PERIODICAL TITLE (JOURNAL/ MAGAZINE) during a calendar year, if those articles were published in the five years prior to date of request.
- Any time a library requests more than ONE article that appears in a SINGLE ISSUE of a PERIODICAL during a calendar year, if those articles were published in the five years prior to date of request.
Under the current budgetary constraints, the library cannot subsidize copyright fees for WIU faculty, staff, graduate and undergraduate students.
http://librarycopyright.net/fairuse/ American Library Association's "Fair Use Evaluator"
http://copyright.columbia.edu/fair-use-checklist Dr. Kenny Crews' (Columbia Univ.) "Fair Use Checklist"
Notification and Pickup
Books – an email will be sent to user’s WIU email account when an item is received. The users must bring a university or picture ID with them to pick up the item.
Photocopies – Photocopies requested for users will be put on their ILLiad account.
Library Use Only Materials
- All “In Library Use Only” materials cannot be taken out of the Library.
- The users will leave a University or picture ID while using the material.
- Users are responsible for the condition of the material when returned.
- Use of nonprint material will be subject to conditions of the lending library.
Return of Interlibrary Loan Material
Books should be returned to the Access Services (Circulation)Desk.
Renewal of Interlibrary Loan Material
Purple Bookmarks - I-Share Requested Items
These items may be renewed online through “VuFind/I-Share Account” http://vufind.carli.illinois.edu/all/vf/
- Log in to your I-Share account.
- Choose “Checked out Items” on right side of screen.
- Select the checkbox next to the item(s) then select the “Renew Selected Items” button.
Yellow Bookmarks - ILLiad Requested Items
Note: Not all renewal requests will be honored. These requests are processed by the item’s lending library and the WIU interlibrary loan staff has no control as to the length of the renewal or if a renewal request will be honored.
These items may be renewed online http://illiad.wiu.edu/illiad/logon.html.
- Log in to your ILLiad account.
- Click “Checked Out Items” under the “View” section of the ILLiad Menu.
- Click the “Transaction Number” associated with the item you would like to renew.
- Click on the red “Renew Request”.
You will see a note at the top that reads, “Your renewal request has been submitted. You will be notified if the item can not be renewed.”
If your renewal request has been approved, the due date will be changed in your ILLiad account. If the renewal request is denied, you will be notified by email.
For More Information
- Greg Phelps
- Access Services