Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
WIU Libraries' Research Toolbar
WIU Libraries' Information Systems Unit has developed a Research Toolbar to increase library research productivity. The Firefox browser toolbar extension enables convenient access to library information resources and services including scholarly databases, library catalogs, Interlibrary Loan services and Internet resources such as Google Scholar.
v3.1.20130501 (Firefox 3.5 - 25.*)
WIU Libraries has created the Research Toolbar to give you quick access to library resources and services wherever you are on the web. Downloading the toolbar gives you one-click access to:
- Full-text articles and e-journals
- World Class library research databases
- Research assistance from professional WIU librarians
- WIU's WestCat & other library catalogs
- ILLiad (Interlibrary Loan)
- Google and Google Scholar
- ...and more!
The toolbar is unobtrusive, easy to deactivate and remove, and does not collect nor transmit any personal information from your computer.
- Download the toolbar
- Click "OK" [Open With: Firefox] in the resulting pop-up window
- Wait for processing (~3 seconds)
- Click "Install Now."
- Finally, restart your browser and enjoy!
- Download the toolbar and save it to your Desktop
- Open the Firefox Tools >> Add-ons window
- Drag the wiulibs_toolbar.xpi file from the Desktop to the Add-ons window
- Click the Install Now button
- Restart Firefox, the toolbar should appear
- Inset of Toolbar's Library, Research and Find Buttons...
- Selecting a searchable newspaper database...
- Inset of Toolbar's Searchbox...
- Searching a library catalog...
- Inset of Toolbar's Help and Resource Buttons...
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Do I have to pay to use the toolbar?
- A: No! The library toolbar is free -- download and use!
- Q: Does the toolbar update automatically?
- A: Yes. Versions 1.0.4 and higher automatically update via the Firefox Add-ons "Find Updates" feature (Tools >> Add-ons >> Find Updates), enabling users to benefit from the latest enhancements and improvements to the toolbar. Earlier versions of the toolbar do not update automatically.
Users who installed a toolbar version prior to 1.0.4 are invited to upgrade [to view your current toolbar version, click Help >> About].
To upgrade to version 1.0.4 or higher, simply uninstall the toolbar (Tools >> Add-ons >> "WIU Libraries Research Toolbar" >> Uninstall [restart Firefox]), and install the current ("self-updating") version of the toolbar here.
- Q: Why can't I see all of the buttons on the right-hand side of the toolbar?
- A: The toolbar currently supports screen resolutions set to 1024 x 768 or higher.
- Q: Where can I download the newest version of the Firefox browser?