Center for International Studies

Jobs for International Students

International students who want to work during their time at WIU must work on campus. J and F visas do not allow a student to work off campus, nor work more than 20 hours per week.

You do not need a social security number to apply for a job on campus. If a form asks you for a social security number, leave it blank. When you find a job, you will get a social security number.

You do not need to wait until you arrive to begin applying for jobs. You can apply for many on-campus jobs online. There are more students who want to work than there are available jobs. We suggest you begin applying as soon as you are accepted to WIU. 

One option for on-campus jobs is working for Sodexo, the food service company on campus.

Undergraduate students may work as regular student workers. Student workers must fill out an I-9 form. International students may NOT work off campus and may not have Federal Work Study (FWS).

Graduate students may work as graduate assistants, research assistants, and teaching assistants. These jobs are usually within the department in which a student studies. These jobs also provide tuition waivers, which means you do not have to pay tuition, you would only pay the fees for classes, books, etc. To find out if your department has positions available, you must contact the department directly.