Center for International Studies

International Undergraduate Freshmen Admission Requirements

Online Application

You must answer questions about your academic background and provide demographic information. There is a non-refundable application fee of $30 USD that you must pay by credit card when you apply online. Your application will not be processed until the fee has been paid.

Official Academic Records 

One transcript in English and one in the native language, verified with fresh seals and signatures, needs to be sent directly from each secondary school attended.  If an external exam is taken, results should be sent directly from the appropriate examinations board/council.  The WES ICAP evaluation may be required for students from certain countries. 

Declaration of Finances

You must show you have financial resources to pay for your first year of study at Western Illinois University.  Your Declaration of Finances verifies that your sponsor will provide financial support for your educational expenses. This form must be signed by you and your sponsor and submitted with an official bank statement.

English Language Proficiency

If you are not a native English speaker, you may take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Official TOEFL scores must be sent to WIU directly from ETS. The institution code for Western Illinois University is 1900. Because English proficiency can change considerably in a relatively short period, scores more than two years old will not be accepted.

For IELTS, official scores need to be sent to Western Illinois University directly from the testing center which administered the test.

If you meet all other academic standards for admission but your TOEFL or IELTS scores do not meet the minimum requirements you may be admitted to a degree program on the condition that you attend courses at Western’s English-as-a-Second Language Institute (WESL) at your own expense. Before starting your degree program, you must improve your English proficiency to the level required to be successful.

You may be exempt from this requirement if you:

  • Have studied in residence a minimum of two years at a state recognized U.S. high school and earned a 2.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in an academic core curriculum.
  • Completed a minimum of two academic years of full-time study at the secondary level in a country where English is the primary language (not merely the language of instruction), immediately prior to the proposed date of enrollment.


Please send a copy of your passport to ensure that we have the correct spelling of your name.