Center for International Studies
International Transfer Student Admission Requirements
You must answer questions about your academic background and provide demographic information. There is a non-refundable application fee of $30 USD that you must pay by credit card when you apply online. Your application will not be processed until the fee has been paid.
Official Academic Records
One transcript in English and one in the native language, verified with fresh seals and signatures, need to be sent directly from each school or university attended. Select countries may need to submit a WES ICAP evaluation. Our office will notify you if your country is one of those.
If you have less than 24 semester hours when you apply, you must submit:
- your official high school transcript;
- your official transcripts for any post-secondary coursework.
If you have more than 24 semester hours when you apply, you must submit your official transcripts for any post-secondary coursework. No high school transcripts are required.
Declaration of Finances
You must show you have financial resources to pay for your first year of study at Western Illinois University. Your Declaration of Finances verifies that your sponsor will provide financial support for your educational expenses. This form must be signed by you and your sponsor and submitted with an official bank statement.
English Language Proficiency
If you are not a native English speaker, you may take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
We require the following minimum TOEFL scores:
- Internet-based (IBT): 79
- Paper-based (PBT): 550
Official TOEFL scores must be sent to WIU directly from ETS. The institution code for Western Illinois University is 1900. Because English proficiency can change considerably in a relatively short period, scores more than two years old will not be accepted.
For IELTS, a minimum overall band score of 6.5 is required. Official scores need to be sent to Illinois State directly from the testing center which administered the test.
International applicants who meet all other academic standards for admission but whose TOEFL or IELTS scores do not meet the minimum requirements may be admitted to a degree program on the condition that they attend courses at Western’s English-as-a-Second Language Institute (WESL) at their own expense. Before starting their degree program, the student must improve their English proficiency to the level required to be successful.
You may be exempt from this requirement if you:
- Have studied in residence at a regionally accredited U.S. post-secondary institution having earned at least 24 semester hours of transferable degree credit, which must include English 180 and 280 with a grade of "C" or higher.
- Earned an Associate of Art, Associate of Science, or Associate of General Studies degree while completing the equivalent of English 180 and 280 with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Completed a minimum of two academic years of full-time study at the secondary or post-secondary level in a country where English is the primary language (not merely the language of instruction), immediately prior to the proposed date of enrollment.
Please send a copy of your passport to ensure that we have the correct spelling of your name.