Center for International Studies
Before You Move In
Sep 1: Check the place
In order to get the maximum amount of your
security deposit refunded when you move out
the Student Tenant Union suggests that you
do the following:
◦ Make certain to go through the entire place thoroughly. If there is anything that needs to be replaced make sure
and state that to your landlord. Ex. Screen door has no glass in it, window lock is broken, etc.
◦ Take notes of any slight damage. Cracks in walls, discolored paints, dirty carpet, ect. !
◦ Photograph or videotape the place (highly recommended) so you know what damage was already there before you came
◦ You should try to document the condition of the place as early as possible to show that the place has been lived in. This will show the true nature of the unit before normal wear and tear occurs throughout the school year
◦ We recommend this so that if any discrepancies occur between landlord and tenant then there is visual evidence to back up the tenants claim
Step 2: Set up utilities (water, electricity, internet, ect.) a week before your arrival if possible.
*Note: If you are not in the US yet, it is a good idea to ask your landlord to do this for you. If landlord is taking care of your utilities make sure that he/she has turned your utilities on before you move in
◦ Call electric and gas companies:
Ameren CIPS (888)789-2477
McDonough Power (309)833-2101
◦ Setup cable/internet
Comcast Communications 1-800-266-2278
◦ Macomb Waterworks requires $100 deposit to turn water on
Macomb Waterworks (309)833-2031 !
Step 3: Think about buying renters insurance
Buying renters insurance policy is also a good
idea. A landlord is not liable for any damage
done to your property due to fire, flooding,
vandalism, or theft.
◦ Some insurance policies average between $100 and $150 per year. Please consult an insurance agent for further information about prices and liability issues. Click here for a list of insurance agents in Macomb. The Student Tenant Union or Center for International Studies can help if have problems contacting insurance agents.