Center for International Studies

Apartment Issues

Insect and Animal Problems

  • If living in a home, you are responsible for the problem.
  • If living in an apartment and yours is the only one with the problem, then you are responsible.
  • If living in an apartment and ALL apartments have the same problem, then the landlord is responsible.

Broken Appliances (Washing machine, oven, etc.)

  • A landlord must repair and maintain all appliances that they own.
  • If the landlord provides appliances such as stoves, ovens, refrigerators, and laundry machines they must fix them.

Plumbing (water) Problems

  • A landlord must take care of the plumbing and make sure that it is safe and comfortable.
  • All apartments must have a room, separate from other rooms containing a flushing toilet, bathtub or shower, and a sink.
  • All apartments must also have a kitchen sink as well.

 Electrical Problems

  • All habitable rooms should contain at least two separate working outlets.
  • One outlet and one light fixture shall be provided in every bathroom and laundry room.
  • Every kitchen should have at least two outlets and one light fixture.

Heating Problems

  • Landlords must make sure that there is heat for all rooms at least 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18 degrees Celsius). The heating period lasts from November 1st - May 1st.
  • Landlords must make sure there is hot water in the apartment, in every kitchen sink, bathtub, shower, and laundry facility at all times. 

Fire Safety

A landlord must provide a smoke detector at the following locations:

  • Each room used for sleeping purposes
  • Each floor including the basement
  • At the top of common stairways
  • Smoke detectors should not be placed in the kitchen


  • Noise from any apartment should not be so loud that the neighbors can hear. Try to be respectful of your neighbors and report problems if your neighbors are too loud.


  • You must obey all alcohol laws
  • You can't sell alcohol at your house
  • No one under 21 can drink alcohol, even in a private apartment


  • Only park in the spaces that are for your apartment.

You cannot park:

  • On a public side walk
  • In the front yard area, except in designated paved driveways
  • On any private property without the consent of the owner
  • Blocking any driveway entrance
  • Any street longer then 24 hours

Security Deposit

Most of the complaints that we receive from students happen to be at the end of the
school year. They all involve the return of security deposits.

  • If your landlord does not give your security deposit back, he or she must give you a paper that says why. 
  • If you don't agree, contact the Student Tenant Union - Don't cash the check! Cashing the check is acceptance of the charges and nothing can be done
  • This is why we suggest you photograph or videotape your unit. It helps keep disagreements to a minimum and can help you disprove any false claims by the landlord.

Student/Tenant Union

  • Email:
  • Office location: Student Organization Center (Union Basement)