Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Heather McMeekan, Webmaster
Getting Started On Facebook
Facebook is a communication tool, just like the carrier pigeon, the telegraph, the pony express, the radio, the phone, the television, the fax, and the email. It's one of the next steps in being able to keep in touch with people you care about, with the following characteristics:
- Your info is NEVER private
- Your info is always being data-mined for advertiser lists
- Your info has the potential 'reach' of thousands
Social media needs discerning adults to help shape the culture.
Have a Self-Protective Mindset
- Have firm boundaries in online communication. Decide your personal line of tolerance.
- Be who you are, wherever you are.
- Invite ONLY friends who support you and leave you feeling relaxed and happier
- Ignore any invites from people you don't care for. It will hurt you (and them) less in the long run then doing a 'Pity Friending' and having to remove them later
- If a troll attacks you, block that person right away.
- Never let anyone on social media rent free space in your head