Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Nondegree Graduate Students
Students in this category are:
1. those whose records, including transcripts or test scores, are incomplete at the time of their first registration, thus making it impossible to determine their exact admission status;
2. those who are taking courses to transfer to a degree program at another institution;
3. those who meet WIU admission requirements for degree-seeking graduate student status, but who are not interested in pursuing a degree at WIU. (Should these students later wish to pursue a graduate degree, they should contact the School of Graduate Studies and request that they be considered for admission as degree-seeking students);
4. those who do not meet admission requirements for degree-seeking graduate student status and have no intention of ever pursuing a degree at this institution. (Should these students later wish to pursue a degree, they are required to request admission as a degree-seeking graduate student, and if accepted, adhere to the regulations established for that category); and
5. those who graduate from nontraditional bachelor's degree programs with fewer than 60 semester hours of graded work. (Should these students wish to pursue a degree, they may petition to have their status changed to degree-seeking graduate student after completing six semester hours of graduate-level work at Western Illinois University with at least a B average and after submitting GRE/GMAT scores if required by the program. With the approval of the academic department, the six semester hours may count toward the minimum number of hours required for the degree.)
Application for admission to the School of Graduate Studies and to a degree program must be made online at wiu.edu/grad or upon forms obtained from the School of Graduate Studies. Degree-seeking students must request ONE OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT to be sent directly to the School of Graduate Studies for EACH college or university previously attended. STUDENT AND FAXED COPIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Nondegree students must request the registrar of the college or university granting their highest degree to send a statement of degree or official transcript showing the degree and the date it was conferred. It must be sent by the registrar directly to the School of Graduate Studies. All transcripts on file in the Office of the Registrar at Western will be obtained by graduate office personnel. The admission application form and official transcripts must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies at least three weeks before the student's first registration. The three-week interval is needed to evaluate credentials and to take official action on admission. If the necessary forms and credentials are submitted after the deadline, the student may still be admitted on a nondegree status but may expect delays in registration. If the necessary forms and credentials are not submitted to the School of Graduate Studies by the end of the first term of a student's enrollment, the student will not be permitted to register for additional courses until these obligations have been met. The University is in no way obligated to grant graduate credit for any course unless the student complies with the above procedures.
Admission to the School of Graduate Studies does not imply or constitute admission to an advanced degree program.