“I really enjoy our visits to different kinds of museums so that we can gain a better understanding of the field, both the challenges and the benefits. Best of all are the multiple courses that take place at the Figge Art Museum.” – Christine Deemer MA in Museum Studies, December 2010
The Master of Arts in Museum Studies degree program will prepare students for diverse types of work associated with museums, including museum administration, collections management, exhibition development, museum education, volunteerism, and fundraising. Students will learn about the purpose, function, and history of museums; become acquainted with the professional challenges and opportunities museum personnel encounter in their field; and gain practical experience working in regional museums.
Teaching methods will include lectures; seminars; hands-on experiences; and a supervised, negotiated internship placement.
Western also offers an integrated bachelor’s/master’s program for students currently enrolled in the undergraduate program at Western.
Why Museum Studies at WIU?
The MA in Museum Studies degree program will provide:
- knowledge and training in the various aspects of museum work to include administration, collections management, exhibition development, education, community development, tourism, and fundraising.
- an in-depth understanding of approaches to the documentation, interpretation, presentation, and preservation of curated materials in museums.
- practical training relevant to a professional career in the museum and galleries sector.
- training in organizing events, building volunteer organizations, and raising money throughout the community.
- graduates with a portfolio documenting their knowledge and skills needed for employment.
- opportunities for the working professional to attend late afternoon and evening classes on a part-time basis.
In this multi-disciplinary program, students will work with faculty from Museum Studies, Recreation, Park and Tourism Administration, and Art Departments. Faculty also include full-time museum professionals from the Figge Art Museum in Davenport, Iowa.
Participate in the museum studies student organization, Graduate Experience in Museum Studies (GEMS).
- Integrated Bachelor's/Master's
- Quad Cities
- Cumulative: 3.0 or
- Last 2 years: 3.0
- Three Letters of Recommendation
Interesting Facts: Fall 2015
- Currently enrolled: 23
- International: 0
- Minority: 1
- Male: 4
- Female: 19
- Students with Assistantships: 9
- Currently enrolled in the certificate program: 3
Department Contact Information:
WIU Quad Cities