Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Equal Opportunity & Access
1. Initiate Search Process | 2. Plan & Develop Search | 3. Receive & Screen Materials | 4. Interview Applicants
Step Two: Plan and Develop the Search Process (Hiring Administrator and Search Committee)
A. Convene the Committee and Define their Role
- Convene the committee to review the Equal Opportunity and Access Recruitment Manual and Hiring Guidelines (this manual) and define their role in the hiring process.
- Stress the requirement of candidate confidentiality to the committee and clearly establish guidelines about the function of the committee relative to the search and selection or screening and recommendation.
- Include the discussion of area Equal Opportunity and Access goals and requirements, to make sure all members of the search committee understand their Equal Opportunity responsibilities.
- Invite a representative from the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access to attend the initial committee meeting. A meeting with the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access is required, to proceed with the search process.
B. Develop the Position Announcement
The position announcement must be developed and approved by the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access prior to advertising the vacancy. The announcement must include a clear statement of the non-discriminatory, job-related criteria to be used in identifying qualified candidates. The template for announcements can be found here.
Position announcements should include the following information:
- Title of position
- Effective date of appointment
- Qualifications (required and preferred) for applicants, stating degree requirement or preference, and teaching, research, professional or administrative experience necessary to qualify.
- A statement of duties and responsibilities, including a description of the expected teaching areas, research, service or administrative activities to be performed. Include travel, schedule or other factors that may apply.
- Rank and tenure-track or temporary status, and salary (optional)
- Requirements for application (materials to be submitted)
- Name and address of contact person
- Deadline for application or screening start date (preferred)
- Statement of security sensitive positions (if applicable)
- Proof of employability upon request.
- AA/EO statement*
C. Develop an Advertising Plan
Develop a plan for advertising and distributing the position announcement and submit it to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access for approval. This plan must include strategies for recruiting applicants from underrepresented groups. Some examples are: advertising in publications that reach a diverse population, posting to appropriate listservs and/or websites and contacting organizations whose membership is comprised of individuals from underrepresented groups. All of these strategies will help to enlarge the pool of candidates and convey the institutional commitment to diversity. If you need assistance planning advertising strategies, contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access for available resources.
Reminder: The position description, position announcement and advertising plan must be submitted to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access for approval prior to advertising.
Once the position description, position announcement and advertising plan have been approved, submit your announcement to the various agencies/organizations for publication. Be sure to allow a minimum of 30 days from posting date to initial screening date when planning your advertising.