Admission Requirements to the Bacholor of Arts in General Studies (BGS) Program
- Option A (in good academic standing)
- Option B (not in good academic standing)
- Option C (never attended college)
- Option D (do not have high school diploma)
- Option E (do not meet any of the admission requirements)
Admission Option A
If you have attended other regionally accredited colleges or universities:
- You must have a "C" average for all work attempted AND
- You must be in good standing at last college or university attended AND
- Successfully completed 24 semester hours of coursework at a regionally accredited institution.
Admission Option B
If you do not have at least a “C” average and/or are not in good standing at the last college or university you attended, you may be considered for admission if:
- You have been separated from all higher education institutions for five or more years AND
- You submit a letter of explanation to the School of Distance Learning, International Studies, and Outreach explaining past academic performance and why you should be admitted to the Bachelor of Arts in General Studies degree program.
- Any former WIU student admitted to the degree program under option B will continue under the last transcripted academic standing status (e.g. academic probation, academic warning).
Note: Students who have been academically suspended or dismissed from Western Illinois University must be readmitted to the University before seeking admission to the BGS degree program.
Admission Option C
If you have never attended college, or have fewer than 24 semester hours, you must hold a high school diploma from an accredited high school and must meet the following requirements:
- Five years must have elapsed since your high school graduation date.
- A "C" average for all college work attempted.
Admission Option D
If you do not have a high school diploma, you may apply for admission if:
- You are at least five years beyond your high school graduation date had you remained in high school
- You have passed the General Educational Development Test
- You have received a high school equivalency certificate
Request official transcripts from any college or university previously attended, the official high school transcript or the high school equivalency certificate be sent directly to:
School of Distance Learning, International Studies, and Outreach
Western Illinois University
Horrabin Hall 6
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455-1390
Admission Option E
If you do not meet the admissions requirements, you may appeal to the BGS Advisory Committee for admission.
Admission will not be granted to persons who have already completed a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. Firefighters seeking a second baccalaureate degree through the National Fire Academy’s Degrees at a Distance/BGS program should contact the School of Distance Learning, International Studies, and Outreach office at 309/298-1929 or by email at BGS@wiu.edu
Admission to the BGS degree program does not admit you to any other WIU degree program.
Withholding information requested in the application for admission or giving incorrect statements may render a student ineligible for admission or result in dismissal.
The transcripts received from other institutions are for the purpose of admission to the BGS degree program only and cannot be released to a third party.
The University reserves the right to change any provision or requirement contained herein at any time.