Why choose a mid-sized public university? What can WIU offer you? Here are some of the larger goals behind the Western Illinois University's mission, and what you'll experience as a student.
Central to our history and tradition is the commitment to teaching, to the individual learner, and to active involvement in the teaching-learning process. WIU’s highly qualified, diverse faculty promotes critical thinking, engaged learning, research, and creativity in a challenging, supportive learning community. Western is committed to an academic environment that encourages lifelong development as learners, scholars, teachers, and mentors.
Quality Academics and Faculty
- Nationally Recognized for High Quality Academics - annual third-party endorsements for WIU's academic excellence as a "Best Midwestern College" by The Princeton Review and as a top tier "Best Regional University" by "U.S.News & World Report."
- Signature Academic Programs - 12 programs which are regionally and/or nationally distinctive to WIU: Accountancy, Agriculture, Biology, Engineering, Forensic Chemistry, Law Enforcement & Justice Administration, Musical Theatre, Nursing, Recreation/Park/Tourism Administration, Sports Broacasting, Supply Chain Management, and Teacher Education
Western values educational opportunity and welcomes those who show promise and a willingness to work toward achieving shared educational goals. WIU is committed to providing accessible, high quality educational programs and financial support for our students.
Affordable Public Education
- Cost Guarantee - WIU is the only school in Illinois that guarantees a four-year lock on total cost including tuition, fees, and room and board for all undergraduate and graduate students.
- Grad Trac - This program guarantees graduation in four years .
- Iowa, Missouri, Indiana and Wisconsin residents receive Illinois in-state tuition rates.
- Cited as a “Best Practice Institution” by the Pell Institute for exceeding the national rate in graduating first generation and low-income students.
- Recognized as one of only two public universities in Illinois who best support students from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds by the “College Access & Opportunity Guide.”
- Named a “Military Friendly Institution” by “G.I. Jobs Magazine.”
- WIU’s scholarship program named a “Best Practice” by the Center for Student Opportunity.
Because Western values the development of the whole person, WIU is committed to providing opportunities for personal growth in an environment that supports the development of wellness, ethical decision making, and personal responsibility.
Large University Options; Small Town Friendliness
- Personal Attention in the Classroom - Small class sizes: student to faculty ratio only 15:1
- First Year Experience (FYE) Program - Designed to help freshmen make the college transition; named a “Best Practice” by the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
- Opportunities Outside the Classroom - More than 250 registered on-campus student organizations .
- Study Abroad - Be an active part of the global community in one of Western’s many international programs.
Western is committed to equity, social justice, and diversity, and will maintain the highest standards of integrity in our work with others. WIU will serve as a resource for and stimulus to economic, educational, cultural, environmental, and community development in our region and well beyond.
Community, Responsibility and Service
- Recognition for Service - WIU named to the U.S. President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, the highest federal recognition for commitment to service learning.
- Commitment to Community Engagement - Because of its commitment and dedication to service learning, the University was selected for The Carnegie Foundation's Community Engagement Classification. The University, which was one of three Illinois public universities to receive the distinction, joined 310 other institutions across the U.S. achieving the Community Engagement Classification since its 2006 debut.
- University and Community Volunteer Opportunities - Countless options to contribute to WIU’s host city of Macomb and its surrounding communities through the volunteer branch of the Office of Student Activities .