Have an item to submit to
Latest WIU Headlines
Get University News in Your
By subscribing to the E-News
Notification Service, you will receive an e-mail
containing the day's headlines and upcoming events each
Resources for Faculty & Staff
Beyond the Bell Tower
News for the
March 17, 2017 • Vol. 32, No. 14
Women’s Basketball To Face Florida State in NCAA Tournament
- Western Illinois earned a #14 seed in the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament and will travel to Tallahassee, Florida, to take on Florida State in First Round action on Friday (March 17) inside the Donald L. Tucker Center. The winner will take on the winner of #6 Missouri against #11 South Florida. Game time is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. central on Friday and can be seen on ESPN2 and ESPN3.
School of Ag to Hold Chili Cook-Off
- The Western Illinois University School of Agriculture will host a chili cook-off from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, March 22 at the Alpha Gamma Rho (AGR) house, 1010 N. Lafayette St., in Macomb.
WIU Student, Professor Collaborate for Journal Article
- For Western Illinois University senior Maria Kurth, her interest America's aging population developed from a close relationship with her grandparents and childhood visits to a nursing home near her elementary school.
Sutton: 2017 Distinguished Faculty Lecturer
- The Western Illinois University 2017 Distinguished Faculty Lecturer Christopher Sutton, professor of geography, will present "The Power of Maps" at 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 22 in the College of Fine Arts and Communication (COFAC) Recital Hall (Macomb) and at 3 p.m. Thursday, April 6 at the WIU-QC Riverfront Campus, room 103-104 (Moline). The lecture is open free to the public.
Fifth Annual Women's History Month Lecture
- The Department of History at Western Illinois University will host the fifth annual Women's History Month Lecture, "Trailblazing Women in Business and Labor." The lecture will begin at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, March 23, in the Malpass Library Garden Lounge.
Annual St. Baldrick's Event March 26 at Western
- Western Illinois University's Tanner Hall will sponsor its annual St Baldrick's fundraising event for childhood cancer from noon-4 p.m. Sunday, March 26 in Tanner Circle.
Knoblauch Cafe Creations Recipe Series Debuts on WIU Facebook, Pinterest
- Grab your mixing bowls, and preheat your oven! Western Illinois University's Department of Dietetics, Fashion Merchandising and Hospitality (DFMH), in collaboration with WIU's University Relations (UR) office, has debuted a short video recipe series on Western's Facebook and Pinterest pages that will leave your mouth watering for these delicious and easy-to-make recipes.
WIU College of Business and Technology Hosts Trivia Night
- The Western Illinois University College of Business and Technology (CBT) will host a CBT 50th anniversary trivia night from 5-9 p.m. Saturday, April 1 in the WIU Brophy Hall Gymnasium. Funds raised will go toward scholarships for CBT students.
WIU Division Updates
Vice President for Student Services Award Winners for February 2017
Graduate Assistant of the Month: Drew Reyes, University Housing and Dining Services
Student Employee of the Month: Nicholas Abele, Go West Transit
Act of Kindness Award Recipients: David Hainline and Frank Tate
Civil Service Personnel Updates
View the latest changes in civil service personnel, provided by the Civil Service Employees Council.
Grants and Contracts & Professional Accomplishments
View the most recent listing of grant and contract recipients and professional accomplishments, provided by the Office of Sponsored Projects.