Recital Hall

About the Recital Hall

image 1

The College of Fine Arts and Communication Recital Hall is located in the northern wing of historic Simpkins Hall, which was build in the mid-1930s through a WPA grant and was first occupied in 1939.

The wing was originally a gymnasium and until 1999, housed offices for the WIU ROTC program. The Recital Hall seats 500 and the operational space includes a green room, box office, coatroom, restrooms, rehearsal space and storage rooms.

The design for the building renovation was provided by the design team of Morris Architects and Planners, Inc., Chicago, IL, John Morris, president and Helen Tsatsos, project manager.

Many alumni and friends of the School of Music and have contributed to the Recital Hall fund to assist with the purchase of instruments and equipment for the facility.

A grand piano, music chairs and stands, a conductor's podium and risers are just a few of the items purchased for the Recital Hall as a result of donor dollars.

If interested in contributing, please contact
Dr. Bart Shanklin
Director, School of Music
Office Phone: (309) 298-1544
E-mail: B-Shanklin@wiu.edu