Theatre has 10 Irene Ryan Acting Nominees Plus More Designers!
The Irene Ryan Acting Scholarship Awards recognizes the talents of theatre students nationwide. Students are nominated from their college/university productions and then proceed to regional competitions and finally to the national competition and recognition.
Since 1972, the Irene Ryan Foundation of Encino, California, has awarded scholarships to the outstanding student performers at each regional festival. These scholarships are made possible by the generosity of the late Irene Ryan who is best remembered for her portrayal of the lovable and feisty ‘Granny Clampett’ in The Beverly Hillbillies . All student actors in both Participating and Associate productions are eligible for consideration for these $500 regional scholarships. The list of awards and student opportunities associated with the Irene Ryan Acting Scholarship Auditions at the national festival continues to expand each year and the auditions are now undoubtedly one of the most exciting educational and artistic opportunities for student actors in the country. Read more about the Irene Ryan Awards.
The 2012 regional nominees from Western Illinois University are the following:
- Arielle Leverett, Henry V
- Mark Ryan Anderson, Henry V
- James Bleeker, Hair
- Kara DeWall, Hair
- Josh Carroll, Rock and Roll and On the Open Road
- Dallas Mulholland, Guernica
- Amos Omer, Guernica
- Kody Jones, On the Open Road
- Chris Tipp, Smokey Joe’s Cafe
- Benisha Dorris, Smokey Joe’s Cafe
Each of these students, if they decide to attend the Regional Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival, will compete with a partner to advance to the national competition in Washington, DC in spring 2013.
Designers also participate in the Regional KCACTF competitions. Design students who will participate are the following:
- Tyler Herald, hair/makeup design, Smokey Joe’s Cafe
- Zak Zubka, sound design, Smokey Joe’s Cafe
- RaeEllen Roeder, scene design, On the Open Road
- Will James Stacey, lighting design, On the Open Road
- Heather B. Carey, costume design, On the Open Road
- Frank Delaney, fight design, On the Open Road
- Brian Beracha, sound design, On the Open Road
- Tyler Herald, hair/makeup, On the Open Road
- Ilana Solomon, costume design, Guernica
- Kelsey Peters, choreography, Guernica
- Zak Zubka, sound design, Guernica
- Tyler Herald, hair/makeup design, Guernica
Congratulations to all of the very, very talented student actors at Western Illinois University!