Cooper’s Baecker Jazz Worship Service Performed on Bix Jazz Fest Sunday
Church of Peace performs The Baecker Jazz Worship Service on Bix Weekend Rock Island, IL . The Church of Peace in Rock Island, Ill., is celebrating the annual Bix Beiderbecke Jazz Festival Weekend with some jazz music of its own on Sunday, August 7, 2011, at 10:30 a.m.
The church’s 14-piece ensemble and singers are performing The Baecker Jazz Worship Service. The Baecker Jazz Worship Service was commissioned for the 50th anniversary of the United Church of Christ in 2007. Through the extraordinary efforts and talent of composer John Cooper from Macomb, IL, the piece came to life as a full-length worship service.
Songs in the Service:
In the Beginning - It’s a modern swing movement that musically explores the Book of Genesis.
Gospel: John 21 - This gospel reading is musically set in a leisure swing feel that switches to a fast swing.
St. Anthony’s Light - This hard-bop gospel melody is set in 5/4 in this spirited up-tempo movement.
Doxology - Vocalists lead the band in this re-harmonized Kenton style chorale.
Communion - This jazz ballad features solo instruments for a contemplative and introspective mood.
This Little Light of Mine - The modern introduction gives way to a hard swinging shuffle in this rendition of the well-known song.
John Cooper is the current Professor of Music and the Director of Jazz Studies at Western Illinois University. The John Cooper Jazz Orchestra release “The Baecker Jazz Worship Service” was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize in 2008.
This year is the 11th annual jazz service at the church. The Church of Peace is located at 1114 12th Street, Rock Island, Ill. Phone number is 309-788-6357 or on the web at Church of Peace UCC or on Facebook at churchofpeaceucc. Enhance the Bix Beiderbecke Jazz Festival weekend and join the Church of Peace on Sunday morning.
The Church of Peace United Church of Christ has been located in Rock Island since 1895. Founded by German immigrants, the church was originally called Deutsche Evangelical Friedens Gemeinde or German Evangelical Peace Church. In 1912, the congregation built the church at its current location on 12th Street and 12th Avenue. The church is involved in outreach efforts through its Book Nook, Saturday Food Pantry, ESL Classes, Summer Meal program, Diapers for Jesus, and work camps.