WIU Theatre Students Honored at January Kennedy Center Festival
From University Relations:
Five Western Illinois University Theatre students were honored during the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF) in January.
WIU students were among the more than 1,500 students who attended the Region 3 festival.
WIU honors included:
• MFA directing student Tommy Iafrate, of Macomb, won the SDC directing award, which is the festival’s biggest directing prize. The region will send him to the Kennedy Center in April where he will work with other regional winners at the National KCACTF Festival.
• MFA directing student Kristin Katsu, of Macomb, was runner-up for Best Director in the 10-Minute Play competition.
Of the 500 students who auditioned for the festival’s judges, eight were recognized, including three from WIU.
• BFA students Anna Cline, of Grafton, and Lorenzo Rush, of Cicero, received the Judges’ Award for Comedy Scene.
• MFA student Andrew Behling, of Wheaton, was the recipient of the KCACTF’s most prestigious award, the Classical Acting Award, presented by NAPAT (National Partners of American Theatre). This award was presented to the actor and to his mentor, Bill Kincaid.
• MFA design student Will James Stacey, of Franklinton, was part of the winning Design Storm team.
Region 3 of the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival includes the states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and western Ohio.