Graduate Program FAQ

  • What major program do you offer? 
    We offer a Master of Science degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders in Speech Language Pathology.
  • Is there a separate application form for CSD? 
    No. You only have to complete the application for the WIU Graduate School.
  • When are application materials due?
    The CSD program begins to review applications in early March. Since application materials are processed through the WIU graduate office, you should have everything to the graduate office by early-to mid- February. Applications completed by February 1st will receive priority consideration.
  • Where should I send my application materials? 
    Everything should be sent to the Office of Graduate Studies. The information will be processed there and forwarded to the CSD program.
  • Will you contact me if my application is incomplete? 
    It is your responsibility to make sure that all transcripts, letters, statements, etc., are sent to the graduate office in a timely manner. The Graduate School will be keeping you abreast of the status of your application via email and phone contacts. If you have any questions regarding the status of application materials, you should contact the graduate office directly. Your file WILL NOT be sent to the CSD Department until it is complete. All materials should be submitted to the graduate office no later than February 1.
  • What GPA do I need for admission? 
    Our published minimums are a 3.0 overall GPA or a 3.25 for the last 60 hours of coursework. Depending on the applicant pool, the minimum GPAs for acceptance may be higher than these. In other years, students with lower GPAs may be accepted on a probationary status.
  • Do you require GRE scores? 
    We now require GRE scores for admission to the CSD program.
  • How many people apply each year? 
    During the past two years, there have been approximately 125 applicants per year. Of these, approximately 3/4 meet the minimums for admission.
  • How many people are admitted in a year? 
    There are usually 18-20 students admitted into the CSD program.
  • Where are the forms for references? 
    There are no special forms. Ask your references to write their recommendation on letterhead stationery. Recommendation letters should be sent to the graduate office, not the CSD program.
  • Can I get a recommendation from my minister or neighbor? 
    The guidelines state that the person writing a recommendation must be able to attest to your academic and clinical potential at the graduate level. Non-academic references can usually comment on your interpersonal skills, but are typically unfamiliar with your academic abilities, particularly as they relate to communication disorders. Therefore, these are not strong references. You should get references from people who know you as a student.
  • Do I need separate letters of recommendation for my graduate school application and for my assistantship application? 
    No. The same three letters can be used for both purposes. It is helpful to have the writer comment both on your qualifications for admission and your qualifications to be a graduate assistant, if the letters are to be used for both purposes.
  • What should I put in my personal statement? 
    The personal statement is a way for you to let us know about your interest in the CSD program at WIU. It should reflect that you have done some research into the program and are familiar with WIU, the CSD program, and the Macomb area. It is a way for us to determine whether you will be a good "fit" in the program. You should try to be specific about your interest in WIU, and avoid general statements.
  • How long does the program take? 
    The program is two years in length. That would include a fall, spring, summer, and fall semester on campus with the second spring semester spent off-campus doing internship, which may include a school internship, if school certification is desired. If you have any deficiencies, your program may be extended beyond the two-year time frame.
  • What is typical course load per semester? 
    Students take 10-13 hours per semester, which includes 3 or 4 classes plus clinical practicum.
  • Can I attend the CSD program part-time? 
    We discourage students from part-time enrollment. Because classes are only offered once a year, part-time enrollment will extend your program considerably. In addition, the clinical practicum component of the program requires more on-campus time than other majors might.
  • Is your program ASHA accredited? 
    The speech-language pathology option of the Communication Sciences and Disorders Master's program is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, with the current accreditation cycle being 2017. We do not have an accredited program in audiology. Upon completion of the Master's program, you will have the academic and clinical experiences necessary to qualify you for Illinois State Licensure in speech-language pathology and the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC-SLP) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
  • Do you offer Illinois Teacher Certification? 
    As of the Spring of 2002, WIU graduates qualify for Type 73 (school service personnel certificate endorsed for non-teaching speech-language pathology) certification. Because of this change CSD students will no longer need to take Teacher Education classes, thus significantly reducing the number of deficiencies that students entering WIU's program from other institutions often had to make up.
  • Do you admit in January? 
    We are only able to admit once per year, for the fall semester of each year.
  • Will I have any coursework deficiencies to make up? 
    Most students who have completed an undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders have the necessary prerequisite coursework for the CSD graduate program.
  • Do you admit students without an undergraduate degree in CSD? 
    All applicants for the CSD program are expected to have completed an undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders, or have taken the required prerequisite coursework for the CSD graduate program. If you have not completed this, you will be asked to enroll as a second baccalaureate student and will apply for admission the following fall. Completing the second baccalaureate/ prerequisite coursework takes about an additional year.
  • Who should I call if I need to talk to someone about a specific question not addressed in this FAQ?  
    Contact Dr. Bob Quesal, the CSD graduate advisor, at 309/298-3278.  
  • Where should the application forms and other relevant documents be sent? 
    Send to: 
    School of Graduate Studies
    Sherman Hall 116
    Western Illinois University
    1 University Circle
    Macomb, IL 61455 
    Phone: 309/298-1806