Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Community Music School
WIU Community Music School - Family Music Classes
Sign up now for these fun-filled classes!
Session Information and Dates
- For toddlers/preschoolers and their parents (older siblings welcome too!)
- Classes meet every Wednesday, 5:15-6:00 PM - Browne Hall Room 205
- January 15 - April 30 (No class 3/12 - Spring Break)
Music powerfully affects humanity, uniquely engages the mind and the body, and unites people of the world, expressively communicating what cannot be understood through any other means.
Music in the lives of every person, beginning at birth,
- has a powerful effect on brain development, capacity, and function.
- is essential for the development of locomotion and coordination
- is vital in the development and conceptual understanding of time, weight, space and flow in body movement, coordination, and expression.
- can bring about much healing and wellness
The early years of life are crucial for establishing a foundation for lifelong music development. Family Music Classes at the Community Music School bring musical play time activities to life, teaching you and your child how to sing together in class and at home. In a playful manner, children develop sensory awareness, language, motor, creative and social skills, along with gaining a wide repertoire of music. These classes combine the wonder and enrichment of folk songs, classical music, exploratory play, and creative movement, bringing you the best experiences to share with your child.About the Teacher
Courtney Johnson has demonstrated a long-term resolve to reach students through music. From 2003 until 2010, her position at Lincoln Elementary School in Macomb allowed her to introduce kindergarten students to the joy of learning through standards-based music instruction. Children cooperatively engaged in singing, playing, movement and reading activities. Before moving to Macomb, Mrs. Johnson taught middle school music for four years, where she worked to integrate character education into the vocal music curriculum. She also developed curricula for teaching world music and guitar. Mrs. Johnson's primary intent has always been to inspire a love for both music and learning while helping children make positive connections with those around them.Register now!
Registration Online All checks made out to "WIU Community Music School" Fees
- 15 weeks - $150/family
E-mail: RM-Cangro@wiu.edu Courtney Johnson, Teacher