Department of Art
Program History Garwood Hall was built in 1914. Visitors entering the impressive East door walked into the large open space of the College Art Museum. Numerous display cases were placed throughout the room and plaster reproductions of Greek and Roman sculptures and wall reliefs surrounded the viewer. Large lotus-topped columns lent an exotic Egyptian aura. The College Art Museum remained in the "Arts Building" or Garwood Hall from 1917 to 1959. Garwood was eventually renovated and became home of the Department of Art. Garwood Hall has large, natural light studio spaces. Department of Art Chairs
- Charles Wright (2007-present)
Charles Wright assumed the role of department head in 2007. Early in Mr. Wright's term the department completed work on a self-study that eventually resulted in national accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). The department also completed a Vision Planning Study for a new facility that will house the entire Department of Art.
- Jan Clough (2006-2007)
- Ed Gettinger (1991-2005)
- Titus Karlowicz (1990-1991)
- David Raizman (1986-1989)
- Dan Kuruna (1981)
- Neal Chassman (1977-1979)
- Christopher F. Scadron (1973-1975)
- Gifford C Lommer (1964-1965)
Theodora (Polly) Pottle (1928-1958)
Ms. Pottle lead the Art Department, and art related activities such as the Art Museum, on campus for thirty years as Head of the Art Department. The longevity of her service as Head of the Art Department is remarkable. The presence and interest of Theodora Pottle can still be felt in our community through the "Theodora Pottle Memorial Collection", her bequest of several works of art placed in public buildings throughout the City of Macomb, including the Macomb Public Library, McDonough County Courthouse, and the McDonough District Hospital.
Jessie Buckner (1907-1925)
Taught drawing and design, during her leadership came the construction of the "Arts Building", later to become known as Garwood Hall, home to the Art Museum and the Department of Art.
- Seth L. Smith
The first chair of Art at Western. S.L. Smith taught Drawing, Writing and Commercial Branches.
|Seth Smith||Jessie Buckner|
|Theodora (Polly) Pottle||George Potter and Sponsors of Sculpture|
|Welding base of sculpture||Grinding on sculpture|
|Completed 75th Sculpture|